Re-using antenna holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I noticed trim is expensive. My SSV was missing a few pieces, a few bolt covers and the rear trim of the center console was broken (during shipping). The seller refunded me for the trim, but still $80 for a 8x12 bezel???
I found a radio bezel on ebay for around thirty bucks. You just have to keep looking, you will eventually find a deal. I don't know why people ask ridiculous prices for those.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a radio bezel on ebay for around thirty bucks. You just have to keep looking, you will eventually find a deal. I don't know why people ask ridiculous prices for those.

What I see on Ebay often times comes pretty close what it costs new. So I ordered the DIC switch and bezel new.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking around about what antenna to use, for CB more than likely. It seems that an 8ft one would be best, but 'da Hoe' being 6ft, the antenna an additional 8 ft, I'd probably be whacking pretty much every overpass around here. So there are also 4ft ones LE apparently uses them, that seem to work well. Is there anything else, preferably shorter than 4 ft, that would work, without some electronics even?
Just wondering, don't know a whole lot about these things. I do have an 6 ft CB antenna on my Jeep, but mounted on the rear, so it does reach that high.

Ron

Bass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your best bet would probably be a thinner whip style, maybe tied back (or forward depending on where you mount it. Maybe look for low profile (if they even exist) 6m and or 10m antennas.

Study for a couple days and get a tech license! Longer range, short phone call capabilities (depending on repeaters in your area), and or super long range (other side of the world) if there are nodes near by! A lot of fun as long as you don't just focus on the local guys who "went to the store today to get my foot medicine. Have to call to ask them which foot to put in on again in the morning..." type conversations

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet would probably be a thinner whip style, maybe tied back (or forward depending on where you mount it. Maybe look for low profile (if they even exist) 6m and or 10m antennas.

Study for a couple days and get a tech license! Longer range, short phone call capabilities (depending on repeaters in your area), and or super long range (other side of the world) if there are nodes near by! A lot of fun as long as you don't just focus on the local guys who "went to the store today to get my foot medicine. Have to call to ask them which foot to put in on again in the morning..." type conversations

Hahaha, yeah true about the local chats... I thought about getting a license for more serious stuff.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
My CB is third on the list after my ham and GMRS. I use it occasionally so i didn't want a third permanently mounted antenna.
So I bought a K40 signal kicker magnetic mount which I just keep in the back. I ran the coax thru the rear side panel and under the seats to the front of the console. The K40 will put out like crazy with its 48" whip. Do a search. Wilson 1000 is similar and performs well also.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CB is third on the list after my ham and GMRS. I use it occasionally so i didn't want a third permanently mounted antenna.
So I bought a K40 signal kicker magnetic mount which I just keep in the back. I ran the coax thru the rear side panel and under the seats to the front of the console. The K40 will put out like crazy with its 48" whip. Do a search. Wilson 1000 is similar and performs well also.

I have seen (and read about) these 48" whip antennas, LE uses those too apparently/allegedly ... this is what I found.
https://www.wearecb.com/maxrad-mlb2700-nmo-cb-antenna.html

nofaz

Reaction score
My Yukon is white and with all 3 antennas on fools a few people on the highway into thinking I'm the HP! I'd like to post a picture of my install but not sure how to go about it.

I also used some tape to hold the coax to the roof and cut down on noise as it rattles on the rigid headliner. I had some of the aluminum tape that's used on heat ducts. It's very wide and very sticky!

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just see the two antennas on the roof of our Tahoe in this picture:

2v29CeVv2xJDYiP.jpg

The truck had two plugged holes when we got it. Since they were cheap plastic plugs, I removed them and installed some stubby antennas. The one above the B-pillar is white, and the other one you can see if you follow the C-pillar up to the roof. It's black.

Yes, people do slow down when we pull onto the freeway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n