Re-using antenna holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just see the two antennas on the roof of our Tahoe in this picture:

2v29CeVv2xJDYiP.jpg

The truck had two plugged holes when we got it. Since they were cheap plastic plugs, I removed them and installed some stubby antennas. The one above the B-pillar is white, and the other one you can see if you follow the C-pillar up to the roof. It's black.

Yes, people do slow down when we pull onto the freeway.

the slowing down might be because of the markings? I plan on using a CB antenna in the rear, the other hole is plugged, but I am putting a "shark antenna on it. Probably with a GPS sensor in it or so, that way it finds GPS satelites easier.

I did notice driving mine that people are less likely to 'cut' in front of you or try to force themselves into your lane... maybe it is hard for them looking up to make eye contact or something like that *lol*

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 188239
My K40 CB antenna. Laird GMRS antenna in the roof center and MFJ dual band on the fender.

View attachment 188240 View attachment 188241 View attachment 188242

Nice, I have seen that K40 antenna, I am looking at one like that. Looks like you'rs is a magnetic one? I want to use the hole in the roof and mount it there.
For the other hole, I probably use a shark antenna and put a GPS antenna in it, for use with the audio/navigation radio I plan on.

I used to have a CB antenna mounted between the hood/fender on a grand cherokee years back

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
the slowing down might be because of the markings? I plan on using a CB antenna in the rear, the other hole is plugged, but I am putting a "shark antenna on it. Probably with a GPS sensor in it or so, that way it finds GPS satelites easier.

I did notice driving mine that people are less likely to 'cut' in front of you or try to force themselves into your lane... maybe it is hard for them looking up to make eye contact or something like that *lol*
I did the same thing with the shark antenna. Aside from the antennas, I still had a big hole that they plugged with a ton of silicone. It was for the cabling on the light bar. I ordered a stick on fake shark antenna on ebay. $3 bucks, shipped. Lol.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Nice, I have seen that K40 antenna, I am looking at one like that. Looks like you'rs is a magnetic one? I want to use the hole in the roof and mount it there.
For the other hole, I probably use a shark antenna and put a GPS antenna in it, for use with the audio/navigation radio I plan on.

I used to have a CB antenna mounted between the hood/fender on a grand cherokee years back
Yes, it's magnetic. I wouldn't mount the CB antenna to the roof though. Because of the length, if it hits something it can bend the roof metal and then you have another problem. If you want to cover the existing NMO mounts, you can get rain proof caps for them. They screw onto the NMO threads and make a tight seal. Cheap on ebay or at any ham or CB shop.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing with the shark antenna. Aside from the antennas, I still had a big hole that they plugged with a ton of silicone. It was for the cabling on the light bar. I ordered a stick on fake shark antenna on ebay. $3 bucks, shipped. Lol.

I guess I got lucky, there are only two holes. One I'll be using for CB, the other for a GPS antenna, might as well and that way have the ugly plugs gone (and less prone to leaking probably.

I do have all the holes for the luggage rack plugged, I think I can probably get rid of those plugs by putting a luggage rack back on.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's magnetic. I wouldn't mount the CB antenna to the roof though. Because of the length, if it hits something it can bend the roof metal and then you have another problem. If you want to cover the existing NMO mounts, you can get rain proof caps for them. They screw onto the NMO threads and make a tight seal. Cheap on ebay or at any ham or CB shop.

On that site I mentioned, further up, it says you can get a spring for avoiding exactly that problem. I would be a cleaner install though, run the coax and all that out of sight.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The markings are painters tape we used when auto crossing the truck at a local event. Otherwise the truck is all white. No idea WTF the picture is upside down on this forum. It’s okay on othe4 lists.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The markings are painters tape we used when auto crossing the truck at a local event. Otherwise the truck is all white. No idea WTF the picture is upside down on this forum. It’s okay on othe4 lists.

I don't see it upside down, on my computer it seems right.

I read up about that K40 antenna, I think I like it, but I probably want it mounted to the roof, to cover the existing hole. (would that be the same antenna, but with a different base that 'screws' into the roof?

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
On that site I mentioned, further up, it says you can get a spring for avoiding exactly that problem. I would be a cleaner install though, run the coax and all that out of sight.
If you decide to go that route, there are plenty of options with the mount. You can use a straight NMO mount and get a PL-259 adapter. Then just add your spring and antenna. To get the proper wave length antenna on the roof though it's going to be pretty long. The spring may be only so effective due to the total weight of the antenna set up. Unfortunately, these Tahoe bumpers aren't really set up to easily take an antenna mount. A 4' 1/4 wave firestick on the front fender or a 102" trailer hitch mounted antenna would be a better option. The roof isn't well suited for anything beyond HF or VHF antennas. But go crazy.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide to go that route, there are plenty of options with the mount. You can use a straight NMO mount and get a PL-259 adapter. Then just add your spring and antenna. To get the proper wave length antenna on the roof though it's going to be pretty long. The spring may be only so effective due to the total weight of the antenna set up. Unfortunately, these Tahoe bumpers aren't really set up to easily take an antenna mount. A 4' 1/4 wave firestick on the front fender or a 102" trailer hitch mounted antenna would be a better option. The roof isn't well suited for anything beyond HF or VHF antennas. But go crazy.

Yeah I get your point, On my CJ5 the whip is mounted on the back, and works well. A Grand Cherokee I used to have, I had one mounted on a bracket that went between the hood and fender.... BUT I have a hole to fill on the Tahoe *lol* so instead of adding additional holes, I might as well put an NMO mount there with a CB antenna. Maybe when I get a license I replace that antenna with something else and put the CB antenna elsewhere (if I still want it). I saw that K40 even makes 24" CB antennas (probably far from optimal) but could get an additional 48" one .. for when "out there".