Expedition Max to Yukon XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like it's had about 14K miles on it since the engine swap so any re-installation issues by the dealer should have cropped up by now. The entire engine and oil cooling system are to be replaced when an engine has a catastrophic (main bearing failure) and I've heard of some instances where the dealer didn't replace the oil cooling system, metal flakes went to the new engine and it was toast in short order.

That said, how long do you plan on keeping it? If it's for a short time you might have a harder time selling it as the CarFax will show the engine replacement and it might deter some buyers.

Will you get any sort of extended warranty with it? IIRC gas engines have a 60K powertrain warranty so if it's not extended then you're coming close to being completely out of warranty on the rig.

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
It sounds like it's had about 14K miles on it since the engine swap so any re-installation issues by the dealer should have cropped up by now. The entire engine and oil cooling system are to be replaced when an engine has a catastrophic (main bearing failure) and I've heard of some instances where the dealer didn't replace the oil cooling system, metal flakes went to the new engine and it was toast in short order.

That said, how long do you plan on keeping it? If it's for a short time you might have a harder time selling it as the CarFax will show the engine replacement and it might deter some buyers.

Will you get any sort of extended warranty with it? IIRC gas engines have a 60K powertrain warranty so if it's not extended then you're coming close to being completely out of warranty on the rig.

Plan on keeping it for at least 5 years. Regarding factory powertrain warranty, can it be extended or does that only apply to periods within the bumper to bumper warranty?

15burban

Reaction score
The new motor wouldn't bother me and you might be able to talk them down in price a little since it's not the original one. Worth a shot at least. I'm not sure on the factory warranty at all but an option is to get a 3rd party warranty. I got one for my other truck when I bought it used and was already out of the factory warranty. Was around $4k for it but it's lifetime/unlimited miles and covers everything except tires, brakes, bulbs, and other basic wear items. I plan on keeping it til it rusts out from around me.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyways, not to thread bump, but moving on - I'm looking for some more feedback from those who have a 6.2 and tow a 6000-7000k lb TT? How has your experience been? More then enough power? If you had to do it again, would you do dmax instead? That kind of stuff. Also, I see that there a split amongst those who say that air suspension is necessary vs those who say it's really not if you run a wds? As mentioned, I run a Blue Ox. Here is what my setup currently looks like with it. Very little sag in the back. Approx 1.5" in the rear.

View attachment 421259
We have a Passport 2950BH and pulled it with our Yukon last summer (admittedly we don't travel with it much). My yukon has the 6.2l and it performed great. Mileage was nothing to write home about but it handled the highway at 65/70 MPH very well. Our Yukon does have Max Towing with air ride, etc. so that definitely helps. The Duramax Yukon is a great option, my only complaint was feeling like I had to get out and push it when trying to pass on the highway (no trailer attached). The 6.2l makes up for that on the highway.

Edit: This trailer is 34' tip to tail, probably on the upper end of what the Yukon can handle. The second picture angle makes the trailer look bigger than it is in person lol.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
So looks like the engine was replaced by Chapman GMC out of Yuma, AZ. You think they'll give me a breakdown of what they replaced if I give them a call?

ETA: invoice of work done incoming

ETA2: as expected, original spun the rod bearings

Here's what they did:

1711484881009.png

1711484830226.png

So a tick over 14,000 miles since the engine was replaced exactly a year ago.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... looks like the engine was replaced by Chapman GMC out of Yuma, AZ.
You think they'll give me a breakdown of what they replaced if I give them a call?
Maybe?
Not like YOU gave them any money for it yourself; not like you're gonna become a customer of Chapman GMC, yea?
In other words, more likely that they'd give that info to the previous owner who bought it from them.

Time for a used motor oil analysis.
I actually wonder why you can't just ship them a used oil filter with oil in it ...

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
Maybe?
Not like YOU gave them any money for it yourself; not like you're gonna become a customer of Chapman GMC, yea?
In other words, more likely that they'd give that info to the previous owner who bought it from them.

Time for a used motor oil analysis.
I actually wonder why you can't just ship them a used oil filter with oil in it ...
They did. See above.

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
Don’t see a radiator on that list…meaning the engine oil cooler wasn’t replaced, meaning possibly metal in the cooler…now in new engine?
Well it’s got 14k miles since the change of trouble free driving.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019