Re-using antenna holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Yeah I get your point, On my CJ5 the whip is mounted on the back, and works well. A Grand Cherokee I used to have, I had one mounted on a bracket that went between the hood and fender.... BUT I have a hole to fill on the Tahoe *lol* so instead of adding additional holes, I might as well put an NMO mount there with a CB antenna. Maybe when I get a license I replace that antenna with something else and put the CB antenna elsewhere (if I still want it). I saw that K40 even makes 24" CB antennas (probably far from optimal) but could get an additional 48" one .. for when "out there".
If you just want to cover the hole, put an NMO mount in it and put a rain cap on it. Its very clean looking and water tight. All I'm saying is that sheet metal has its limits. I get it that the top of the roof is the best place for antennas though.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just want to cover the hole, put an NMO mount in it and put a rain cap on it. Its very clean looking and water tight. All I'm saying is that sheet metal has its limits. I get it that the top of the roof is the best place for antennas though.

Yeah I have been looking around a bit to see what's out there. A few years ago I had a Jeep GC, that I mostly used for road trips etc, had a CB in it, They come in handy when on a trip with others, and on long trips can be entertaining. I saw there are even some 24" CB antennas, poor performance probably

nofaz

Reaction score
IMG_20160605_182509_347 (002).jpg
Here's the roof of my Yukon with the 3 low profile antenna installed. These allow me to go into the garage without making a racket and messing up the antennas.

The front one is a 430-450, the middle for 222 and the back is tunable from 140-160.

There a little pricey but work pretty well.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Nice! Any trouble with the long K40 whip driving around town?
No problems so far. It's a pretty flexible steel whip, about 48". The magnetic base is plenty adequate. I've hit some low hang branches and it was solid.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 188270
Here's the roof of my Yukon with the 3 low profile antenna installed. These allow me to go into the garage without making a racket and messing up the antennas.

The front one is a 430-450, the middle for 222 and the back is tunable from 140-160.

There a little pricey but work pretty well.

That’s pretty much our setup, but one less on the Tahoe. The Caprice, though, we call ‘the porcupine ‘. :)

nofaz

Reaction score
OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to the CB antenna we used on lots of gov and private installs. Its about 4 foot long and performs quite well. You will want some one to check the final installation with a watt meter or swr bridge to make sure the whip length is correct! Not doing so might make for poor performance.

https://www.theantennafarm.com/cata...4.html?zenid=b4d9a2aae18b4772b0e7d5310fe8edbb

Thanks for the link! I was actually talking to these guys last Thu and they recommended this one: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/pctel-maxrad-mlb2700-706.html

They seemed helpful, I ordered coax, mount and antenna from them. And yes, I'd have to find someone to calibrate the antenna/setup to see if it all works optimal. For now I ordered a CB that can use the side bands.

nofaz

Reaction score
Cool! SSB is how I got interested in ham radio. Wish I lived closer, I'd tune that antenna for you!

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Here's a link to the CB antenna we used on lots of gov and private installs. Its about 4 foot long and performs quite well. You will want some one to check the final installation with a watt meter or swr bridge to make sure the whip length is correct! Not doing so might make for poor performance.

https://www.theantennafarm.com/cata...4.html?zenid=b4d9a2aae18b4772b0e7d5310fe8edbb
I have a Laird GMRS NMO on top. It performs quite well.
I like that Laird CB 27. 49" whip in your link. Did you put that on top or elsewhere?