Power Steering Pressure Hose -- How Difficult?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's encouraging. My biggest fear is getting stuck in the middle of the job and then my vehicle is stuck in my garage. Did you go with OEM hose? Did you replace the return hose too or just the pressure hose? Any other tips?

I went with Duralast because I wanted to do the job that day and that was all AutoZone has in stock. It was 44.99, part number 80617, unsure if that is just AutoZone number or Duralast part number. If I could wait I would order the AC Delco just because I try to keep to OEM. No other tips, I was timid about it but it was pretty straight forward. Have a catch pan and new fluid as you'll lose your old stuff when you unscrew.

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's encouraging. My biggest fear is getting stuck in the middle of the job and then my vehicle is stuck in my garage. Did you go with OEM hose? Did you replace the return hose too or just the pressure hose? Any other tips?

And I didn't do the return but if I could go back I would. Simply for the fact that if I need to replace it in future I'd have to get dirty and lose fluid all over again. I'd imagine it's just as easy.

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I didn't do the return but if I could go back I would. Simply for the fact that if I need to replace it in future I'd have to get dirty and lose fluid all over again. I'd imagine it's just as easy.
Did you use line wrenches? Did you put the vehicle on jack stands or was there enough clearance with a creeper? How long did it take you? Sorry for the questions... think I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use line wrenches? Did you put the vehicle on jack stands or was there enough clearance with a creeper? How long did it take you? Sorry for the questions... think I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

I used my normal Craftsman combination wrenches, line wrenches would probably male the job a little easier I'd imagine. No stands, was able to get the top connection off/on by standing on ground and reaching in and was able to lay under truck without it jacked up. I also was able to reach the bottom connection from the top too, but depending how much leverage you might need to go under. Took me under an hour and that includes wiping everything down real good before I installed new line.

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used my normal Craftsman combination wrenches, line wrenches would probably male the job a little easier I'd imagine. No stands, was able to get the top connection off/on by standing on ground and reaching in and was able to lay under truck without it jacked up. I also was able to reach the bottom connection from the top too, but depending how much leverage you might need to go under. Took me under an hour and that includes wiping everything down real good before I installed new line.
Good info! I know power steering fluid is pretty corrosive. Did you just wipe everything down after it drained to the pan? I'm probably way overthinking this... just need to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas