Looking to lower power steering boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
I love almost everything about my '13 Yukon Denali 6.2 EXCEPT for the power steering---it is SO light to the touch in my large, heavy hands. It is shocking how little feedback there is through the wheel, and from what I've been reading, this is by design. I find myself fearing to even look out the side window, wondering if I'll be heading for the ditch by the time I return my gaze to the front. It takes no more than a second for my Yukon to veer off course without even indicating this through steering feel.

Is there some way to turn up the "weight" required to move the steering wheel, so all my direction changes are intentional?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't feel that way about my 07 Yukon XL Denali. Other folks on this Forum will chime in with more information.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love almost everything about my '13 Yukon Denali 6.2 EXCEPT for the power steering.
it is SO light to the touch in my large, heavy hands.
It is shocking how little feedback there is through the wheel, and from what I've been reading, this is by design.
I find myself fearing to even look out the side window, wondering if I'll be heading for the ditch by the time I return my gaze to the front.
It takes no more than a second for my Yukon to veer off course without even indicating this through steering feel.

Is there some way to turn up the "weight" required to move the steering wheel, so all my direction changes are intentional?
Can only think of 2 possibilities:

#1: Does the 9C1 / Z56 version of the Tahoe of that same year come with anything different in terms of power steering?
I used to own 3 different Caprice 9C1s w/ LT1s. They needed reasonably strong hands and intent to turn the wheel quickly.
The '94 Fleetwood I owned, on the other hand (pardon the pun), could be steered with a left pinkie fingertip.
(They're basically the same platform.)
Point is, if the Tahoe PPV (not SSV) has firmer steering, try that.

#2: Is there an aftermarket underdrive pulley kit for GMT900s? That'd also reduce the assist.
(Sorry I can't come up with more or better.)

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like your thinking. A Chevy swap sounds like a great idea.
Learned it at the Impala SS Forum; we all learned about how to upgrade RoadMasters and Fleetwoods using different bits of different versions of OE (V4P tow package, V4U limousine, 9C1 pursuit package, etc) like pepper to turn our cars up a notch or three.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love almost everything about my '13 Yukon Denali 6.2 EXCEPT for the power steering---it is SO light to the touch in my large, heavy hands. It is shocking how little feedback there is through the wheel, and from what I've been reading, this is by design. I find myself fearing to even look out the side window, wondering if I'll be heading for the ditch by the time I return my gaze to the front. It takes no more than a second for my Yukon to veer off course without even indicating this through steering feel.

Two things- slow the pump down or adjust the alignment. Maybe even just have the alignment checked. If you're not the original owner, maybe a previous owner had the alignment adjusted and they didn't give it enough positive caster? Some places do the ol' "toe and go" and many others focus just on toe and camber since those are the settings that primarily affect tire wear. Case in point: I did my own alignment after lowering my Tahoe back in 2019 using heavy jack stands and a string pulled tightly between them and measuring to the millimeter with a precision ruler. Easy enough for toe and camber, but not a method to measuring caster. So, I erred towards heavy positive caster since that's always safer than lesser caster. No caster and negative caster is downright dangerous. My tires wear perfectly flat and it doesn't pull. The only downside to my heavy positive caster is a mildly odd feeling and tire scrub when turning hard at slow speeds, like when maneuvering slowly in or out of a driveway or parking spot at an almost stopped speed. I'll fix it one day when I dive back into my suspension mods. Thanks to @89Suburban, I now have a nifty tool that'll make the whole alignment process, including setting the caster much easier.

Anyway, if the alignment is found to have insufficient caster as per the stock specs, this could be your problem. Or, maybe the shop would be willing to dial in a little more beyond those specs to make the steering more heavy. They'd have to readjust the camber and toe as they'd all be affected. So, it'd be a full-on alignment. I'd at least check into this before swapping pulleys, etc. You don't wanna be swapping parts to cover up an alignment issue.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubt @LurkingLuke 's issue is a bad alignment.
That said, even if his alignment is 'ok', damn straight to the hell yes, alignments can be customized to improve handling and steering feel!
Very generally speaking, as much positive caster as reasonably possible, a dash of toe in, two pinches of negative camber.

Once you're sure about that, then, if you are still not happy,
get the PPV pump if it's a different one,
underdrive the power steering pump if it's not HydroBoosted ...

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
What I can tell ya is with zero power steering or a system failure these rigs are a death trap. I learned this by an accessory belt failure at 65 while on a freeway exit ramp.

Check the part # on your pump and rack. Verify it’s correct for your model year and make. Yes, extreme misalignment can make the steering feel floaty. You’ll know if that’s the scenario sooner or later by wear or inspection.

Do you have any past history on repairs or rim swaps going on?

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
What I can tell ya is with zero power steering or a system failure these rigs are a death trap. I learned this by an accessory belt failure at 65 while on a freeway exit ramp.

Check the part # on your pump and rack. Verify it’s correct for your model year and make. Yes, extreme misalignment can make the steering feel floaty. You’ll know if that’s the scenario sooner or later by wear or inspection.

Do you have any past history on repairs or rim swaps going on?
---
Regrettably, can't say, as I've had the vehicle since only September. I was coming from a German sports car, so yeah everything else out there will feel light. I will check the part #, though, for sure.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts