Power steering fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MenzRoom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2004 Tahoe, the power steering pump whines a bit after it’s been driven for a bit. Checked the fluid levels a few times and it dawned on my last night. The fluid that’s currently in my power steering pump is red (ATF I’m assuming) I know ford used ATF a lot but shouldn’t my fluid be like a clear or yellowish color ? If it’s the wrong fluid I’m assuming this might be my problem?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2004 Tahoe, the power steering pump whines a bit after it’s been driven for a bit.
Checked the fluid levels a few times and it dawned on my last night.
The fluid that’s currently in my power steering pump is red (ATF I’m assuming) I know ford used ATF a lot but shouldn’t my fluid be like a clear or yellowish color?
If it’s the wrong fluid I’m assuming this might be my problem?
When I first bought my '02 Z71 2.something years ago, I had the same issue.
In my case, when I SAW an ATF leak, I ASSUMED my 4L60E was leaking.
Turns out it was my power steering, leaking ATF.
I replaced with PSF (Prestone makes very good PSF).

It soon became very 'clear' that, in order to fix the leak, I had to replace ALL the power steering hoses.
It's more likely your leak will be fixed by replacing the leaking hoses.

OP
OP
M

MenzRoom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I first bought my '02 Z71 2.something years ago, I had the same issue.
In my case, when I SAW an ATF leak, I ASSUMED my 4L60E was leaking.
Turns out it was my power steering, leaking ATF.
I replaced with PSF (Prestone makes very good PSF).

It soon became very 'clear' that, in order to fix the leak, I had to replace ALL the power steering hoses.
It's more likely your leak will be fixed by replacing the leaking hoses.
It doesn’t leak just whines when I make a turn after it’s heated up. My thought is maybe because it has the wrong fluid (ATF) so it doesn’t have the proper consistency? Just not 100% sure what it’s supposed to have in it. ATF or real power steering fluid

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t leak, just whines when I make a turn after it’s heated up.
My thought is maybe because it has the wrong fluid (ATF) so it doesn’t have the proper consistency? Just not 100% sure what it’s supposed to have in it.
ATF or real power steering fluid?
Then just swap out the ATF for PSF (no need for any stop-leak stuff in your PSF).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachattack_0924