Power Steering Pressure Hose -- How Difficult?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L AWD 132K. Owned my Denali for 3 years starting at 85K and it's driving great after getting it through the 100K and some repairs that I've made and others by my local shop under warranty, which just expired (got my money's worth). One thing they keep mentioning and I keep putting off (please don't yell at me) is the power steering pressure line hose, which shows seepage, but isn't at the point of dripping. I know I need to replace it, but shop wants $365, which includes hose and flush. I can get the hose for $45 (Autozone) or OEM for $90. How difficult and time consuming is the hose replacement? I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube, but mostly not for this year class. My comfort level: brakes, belts, pulleys, vent/purge valve... that kind of stuff. Not to complicate it, but for some reason, the power steering hose(s) are pretty corroded. Is this common? See all pics attached. Trying to get some perspectives. Trying to decide if I should suck it up and just let the shop do it, or do it myself at what risk?

View media item 27085View media item 27084View media item 27083View media item 27082

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll be a dirty mess with corroded fittings to deal with. $365 might seem like a bargain after you start. Soak those fittings a few days before with PB Blaster and use a line wrench on them. Follow the procedures for replacing and exchanging the fluid so more problems are not created. My preference is to go with GM OEM parts. My new lines are under the work bench, only one fitting is weeping slightly at this point. Maybe next winter it'll get done.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just helped my son replace the power steering lines on his 99 Silverado. Flare nut wrenches and flare nut crow foot wrenches helped out TREMENDOUSLY on this job, especially the crow foot wrenches. That was only the second time I've ever even used my Crowfoot wrenches, but now I'm glad I had them. I ordered them off Amazon a while back, they very affordable and are made by Sunex.

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll be a dirty mess with corroded fittings to deal with. $365 might seem like a bargain after you start. Soak those fittings a few days before with PB Blaster and use a line wrench on them. Follow the procedures for replacing and exchanging the fluid so more problems are not created. My preference is to go with GM OEM parts. My new lines are under the work bench, only one fitting is weeping slightly at this point. Maybe next winter it'll get done.
Thank you! I have a fresh can of PB on the shelf. I may pay the $365 lol. I think that only includes the pressure hose and flush though. In my first pic, I'm not sure what line that is that's all corroded next to the pressure line. Looks like it's coming from the radiator area... could this be a line for the transmission cooler? Is it normal to see that level of corrosion?

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just helped my son replace the power steering lines on his 99 Silverado. Flare nut wrenches and flare nut crow foot wrenches helped out TREMENDOUSLY on this job, especially the crow foot wrenches. That was only the second time I've ever even used my Crowfoot wrenches, but now I'm glad I had them. I ordered them off Amazon a while back, they very affordable and are made by Sunex.
Thank you for this great advice! I just checked them out on Amazon. I've never uses crowfoot wrenches, but I understand the logic.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I have a fresh can of PB on the shelf. I may pay the $365 lol. I think that only includes the pressure hose and flush though. In my first pic, I'm not sure what line that is that's all corroded next to the pressure line. Looks like it's coming from the radiator area... could this be a line for the transmission cooler? Is it normal to see that level of corrosion?

Depending on your options you'll probably also have engine oil cooler lines and transmission oil cooler lines running to either side of the transmission and possibly an external trans cooler in front of the condenser as well. Yes, the salt really corrodes them after a time and it is good that they all be replaced because any of them failing would strand whoever is driving it.

I've had the rubber fail on previous cars and have replacements ready to be put on when needed for those too.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal to see that level of corrosion?
Not down here in Louisiana, corrosion and rust like that is very rare unless the vehicle has been flooded in saltwater.
I actually ended up selling my 87 G-Body Cutlass because it was flooded in Katrina in 2005. It had far less rust than the pictures I see if vehicles from up North in the rust belt. But it was too much rust for me to tackle on my own, and I sure didn't have enough money to do a frame off restoration. I didn't regret selling it at the time, but now I wish I had not sold it.

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L AWD 132K. Owned my Denali for 3 years starting at 85K and it's driving great after getting it through the 100K and some repairs that I've made and others by my local shop under warranty, which just expired (got my money's worth). One thing they keep mentioning and I keep putting off (please don't yell at me) is the power steering pressure line hose, which shows seepage, but isn't at the point of dripping. I know I need to replace it, but shop wants $365, which includes hose and flush. I can get the hose for $45 (Autozone) or OEM for $90. How difficult and time consuming is the hose replacement? I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube, but mostly not for this year class. My comfort level: brakes, belts, pulleys, vent/purge valve... that kind of stuff. Not to complicate it, but for some reason, the power steering hose(s) are pretty corroded. Is this common? See all pics attached. Trying to get some perspectives. Trying to decide if I should suck it up and just let the shop do it, or do it myself at what risk?

View media item 27085View media item 27084View media item 27083View media item 27082

I have same truck, 08 Yukon XL Denali, I just did my pressure hose a few months back. Honestly it was pretty easy. Mine wasn't as rusted as yours but simple wrench did the job after letting the PB Blaster soak for a few minutes. Remove plastic guard plate under truck and should give you all clearance you need for bottom connection.

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have same truck, 08 Yukon XL Denali, I just did my pressure hose a few months back. Honestly it was pretty easy. Mine wasn't as rusted as yours but simple wrench did the job after letting the PB Blaster soak for a few minutes. Remove plastic guard plate under truck and should give you all clearance you need for bottom connection.
That's encouraging. My biggest fear is getting stuck in the middle of the job and then my vehicle is stuck in my garage. Did you go with OEM hose? Did you replace the return hose too or just the pressure hose? Any other tips?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518