PLEASE HELP!!! I can NOT figure out what this noise is...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya I think you could disconnect the alternator (wiring) and take it for a short run in the daytime and see if it's still present or not, cel will probably come on but nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

IASCA Car Audio World Champion
Reaction score
Fuel Pump maybe? If the sound if definitely under the hood, swap out that alternator.

My alternator is around $600, it's a self exciting Ohio generator 300A alternator. I still sit at 14.8 voltage steadily going down the road. So with the alternator charging that strong, it couldn't be the culprit.

Edit: and just incase you didn't know, a Self exciting alternator means it runs without the harness being plugged in, it charges when being spun, with any signals from the harness.

Last edited:

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
I added a 2nd video, the sound is much louder in that video! Make sure you watch both!

My truck is a 2002 Tahoe LT 4x4 with 251,828 miles on it.

Here's what I can tell you about this noise:
-It is not speaker feedback. (Yes I have unhooked all of my amps and it's still there, even while the radio is on/off).
-It does not happen in neutral, only while driving.
-You can hear it from outside of the truck.
-It changes frequencies/pitch based on rpm's, not just speed.
-I can let off the gas at 70+ mph and the noise will go away until I start pressing on the gas pedal again.
-The colder it is outside the louder the noise is.
-My alternator is an aftermarket self exciting high output alternator, but still charges correctly and my voltage doesn't change based on the noise, so I feel like that rules the alternator out.
-If I lean my head back against the headrest it isn't as loud as when I'm leaning forwards.
-Sometimes it can take over an hour of driving before it starts happening.
-It can get so loud that you can't even talk over it.
-It still happens if I cut the AC on/off.
-It still happens if I cut the heat on/off.
-It didn't start until I had my lightbar installed and I had both my high beams and low beams replaced with led bulbs (I got all of that done at once) but I've in hooked all of these things and the noise is still there.

I'm stumped and the noise is so bad it makes me not even want to drive my truck.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Looks like you need to get it in the air-get it to the rpm that makes the noise at and Stethoscope the noise.I use a very long screw driver to locate the noise-you might be very suprised to what it is.Other wise your guessing and throwing parts at it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand Fuzzy about the alternator but still rule it out as a culprit. I suspect it from my armchair here, nothing else can really make that kind of noise in the way that it does. Just rule it out.

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
I understand Fuzzy about the alternator but still rule it out as a culprit. I suspect it from my armchair here, nothing else can really make that kind of noise in the way that it does. Just rule it out.

How would I rule it out? I don't use the plug with this alternator already so how could I change anything about it to see?

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
So me and my friend were looking under the hood of my truck and we noticed this on the side of the air intake box:

IMAG0651.jpg

The top was broken off, so we did this:

IMAG0653.jpg

We covered it in duck tape to see if that stops the noise or not. I plan on replacing the part either way, I just want to see if this fixes it or not, I'll let you know after this test drive lol.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would I rule it out? I don't use the plug with this alternator already so how could I change anything about it to see?
it has to be plugged in or wired up in some manner otherwise you would just have a dead battery, remove any wires and take a drive with no wires attached to the alternator, or remove the belt and get crafty with a drill to spin it it up

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
it has to be plugged in or wired up in some manner otherwise you would just have a dead battery, remove any wires and take a drive with no wires attached to the alternator, or remove the belt and get crafty with a drill to spin it it up

I have a 300A self exciting alt that doesn't use a plug. I also have 3 batteries with 130+ amp hours each, and I have 175 ft of 0 gauge ofc wire connecting the batteries together. I have 8 runs of wire total, 4 positive(+/hot) runs and 4 full length negative(-/ground) runs and 1 frame ground per battery. Tell me again how I can't run at alt without the plug attached...

PhotoGrid_1516562720009.jpg PhotoGrid_1516562835148.jpg PhotoGrid_1516562950252.jpg PhotoGrid_1516562862093.jpg

TeaSpoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket air intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar