Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigjimmy

Reaction score
Hoping for a bit of help lads.
2008 Denali 85,000 miles
On cold startups I have what sounded like a squeal/bearing noise that gets louder in first 2 gears then quietens down.When the engine is warm theres no noises
All fluid levels fine.
It’s had new pulleys and belts and a water pump and alternator
I was convinced it was the water pump as it sounds like it’s coming from the front of the engine but new pump has made no difference.
I like my stuff to be right so this is getting to me!
Any help much appreciated

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping for a bit of help lads.
2008 Denali 85,000 miles
On cold startups I have what sounded like a squeal/bearing noise that gets louder in first 2 gears then quietens down.When the engine is warm theres no noises
All fluid levels fine.
It’s had new pulleys and belts and a water pump and alternator
I was convinced it was the water pump as it sounds like it’s coming from the front of the engine but new pump has made no difference.
I like my stuff to be right so this is getting to me!
Any help much appreciated
first thing I would do is before you start it up in the morning while it is cold, take the belt or belts off and spin what you can be hand and see if you can determine the source of the noise. usually it turns out to be a tensioner.
your 08 may or may not have a ac stretch belt, if it has a tensioner that is your primary suspect.

OP
OP
Bigjimmy

Bigjimmy

Reaction score
Could it be the starter failing to disengage maybe?Whys it fine when warm though??

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start where @Doubeleive stated. I have the same truck and you can drop both belts off with a 15mm socket and ratchet. Tensioner for main and A/C belts. With belts off, start it and listen. If it's cool/ cold out, you could even go for a quick drive and see what it sounds like if you need more verification - you just won't have power steering BTW.

OP
OP
Bigjimmy

Bigjimmy

Reaction score
Ok had the belts off started her up and …………..no noises
put the belts back on and ……….no noises ‍♂️♂️
Turned her off and checked it over,there is a very slight ply in the power steering pulley.Could it be the pumps on its way out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019