PLEASE HELP!!! I can NOT figure out what this noise is...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Ley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my years of working on radios this sounds like a bad alternator, no noise suppression, undo all wires and make sure to insulate the positive wire then drive it and see the results

John Ley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It will not excite if you remove the positive wire from it, it has to have power to self excite. With no power going to it no power generation will take place so it should not burn itself up. I still think this is the culprit.

MT Elk Hunter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's hard to tell without hearing it firsthand, but it sounds like vibration caused by airflow. Did you add something new like a CB or cell phone antenna? Maybe some other air deflector

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Pump maybe? If the sound if definitely under the hood, swap out that alternator.

I’m with swath on this one. I’ve heard alternators do this in the past. As RPMs go up, so does it’s charging output, and to me, sounds like an old school battery charger on high amp output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

IASCA Car Audio World Champion
Reaction score
Pull the light bar just to eliminate it. Replace that alt with a stocker from a junkyard so the belt will still work to eliminate the alt. Or keep guessing about those two. I'm betting on the alt.

I have already un hooked the lightbar and it didn't go away so that's not it. And I'm currently trying to get my hands on a stock alt to try that out here soon.

Just generally speaking, alts are so sensitive that if if anything is wrong with them, charging voltage is usually the first thing to go and with how high mine is sitting while going down the road it just makes me skeptical that that's the issue, but I won't rule it out until I have tried this.

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

IASCA Car Audio World Champion
Reaction score
Also to everyone suggesting the alt,

The noise only happens while I'm in drive and going down the road, there is no noise if I rev it up in park or neutral, only while going down the road.

And the noise will go away, even if I'm still going 40+ down the road as long as I'm not pressing on the pedal.

If it was my alt, wouldn't the noise be present anytime my rpms increased, weather or not I'm actually moving down the road???

gonatee

Reaction score
Also to everyone suggesting the alt,

The noise only happens while I'm in drive and going down the road, there is no noise if I rev it up in park or neutral, only while going down the road.

And the noise will go away, even if I'm still going 40+ down the road as long as I'm not pressing on the pedal.

If it was my alt, wouldn't the noise be present anytime my rpms increased, weather or not I'm actually moving down the road???
Man it could be

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts