SOLVED: What is this noise? Torque converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Most noticeable idling on my sloped driveway, nose pointing uphill. (In gear or neutral/park) Also noticeable when taking off from start, regardless of grade. Might be happening at cruise or other acceleration, but don’t hear it.

Notably, it does NOT happen when idling on level surface, or sloped with nose downhill.

Been present since I bought it (first noticed it when I drove home and drove it up my sloped driveway a few weeks ago)

To me it sounds like a loose bolt rattling around in something rotating. Flex plate to TC bolt backed out? If it is something like that it will be the perfect excuse to replace the TC, which I’m planning on anyway.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I learned that a failure point of these starters is that the starter gear can move to contact to flywheel unintentionally, given the conditions of your problem I think the starter is a good place to look.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I learned that a failure point of these starters is that the starter gear can move to contact to flywheel unintentionally, given the conditions of your problem I think the starter is a good place to look.

I'll definitely check there, thanks. I think it is just slightly louder on the PS vs DS, too, so that might explain that. Could explain the issue of it being most prevalent on an upward slope, too.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The starter drive gear will fail and can move on it's shaft. The tilt of the truck is a dead give away to the problem. Nose uphill and the gear slides toward the flexplate gear teeth. Nose down hill and the gear slides away from the flexplate teeth and noise lessens or goes away. Make sure to inspect the teeth of the flexplate when you remove the starter. Does need a new starter.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The starter drive gear will fail and can move on it's shaft. The tilt of the truck is a dead give away to the problem. Nose uphill and the gear slides toward the flexplate gear teeth. Nose down hill and the gear slides away from the flexplate teeth and noise lessens or goes away. Make sure to inspect the teeth of the flexplate when you remove the starter. Does need a new starter.

Makes perfect sense - ordered the Delco. Will report back, but I'm 99% sure this will solve the problem. Thank you!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most noticeable idling on my sloped driveway, nose pointing uphill. (In gear or neutral/park) Also noticeable when taking off from start, regardless of grade. Might be happening at cruise or other acceleration, but don’t hear it.

Notably, it does NOT happen when idling on level surface, or sloped with nose downhill.

Been present since I bought it (first noticed it when I drove home and drove it up my sloped driveway a few weeks ago)

To me it sounds like a loose bolt rattling around in something rotating. Flex plate to TC bolt backed out? If it is something like that it will be the perfect excuse to replace the TC, which I’m planning on anyway.
+1. Your starter drive gear return spring has failed. Time to replace the starter.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sounds like the catalytic converter material broke apart inside the cat. happened to me as well not to long ago
if it was anything else you wouldn't make it down the street
not sure if the starter would make that same sound or not, but easy to tell by sticking a tube up to it and listening
even a piece of wood will pass the sound thru

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dave09 Good way to test it is by parking with the front end facing downhill to keep the starter gear in place, if it doesn’t happen you know the starter gear is the problem

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though I haven't run it yet, it was definitely the starter. I could hear and feel that gear sliding around even before I got the starter out completely. I didn't turn the engine over by hand, but the part of the flex plate I could see didn't look like it sustained any damage. New starter is in and ready to go, but, while I'm there......

I pulled the PS wheel and fender skirt to more easily get at the starter electrical connections. Since I had such easy access, I pulled one of the plugs on that side and took out a 41-110 Delco. Possibly original (197k miles) but not sure. The gap is right at .04, so maybe not that old? I think I'm going to do wires and plugs in conjunction with this repair. I've read the threads on 41-110 vs 41-162 - I found the 41-110s on Amazon and they're quite a bit cheaper than the 162s. The threads I read here and elsewhere seemed to say either are still fine. Any changes to that line of thinking lately?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dave09 Get the 41-162 they are the new part number for 41-110, I've heard most of the 41-110 you find on the market are not legit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019