Pedders kit ordered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
quick66ss

quick66ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my kit and am going to install it Saturday. I have never messed with a strut suspension as my previous suspension rebuilds have been on my 66 Nova and my 78 Elcamino. How do you go about the Pedders install on the front? The back seems pretty strait forward as I do not have the auto ride suspension.

HELP!

Mike

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I will upload pic later today, the Thaoe looks and feel real good with the Pedders coils!
Trust me, the rear can be an ass but just come on here and post if you need help so I can tell you, after all its fresh in my mind from yesterday.
Also the front will be a bit more involved, I suggest you do them on seperate days becuase you will be tired after just the rear (atleast I was)

A 3Ton floor/trolley jack and 3 ton jack stand pairs are a MUST!!

Redline5004

Reaction score
Opions vary on alignment. Just put front spacers in neighbors truck to level it and had him go over a couple speed bumps. It settled a little. Told him to drive it until Monday, 2 days, and I'll set the front end. You do need to drive it a little, it will settle.

dms

Reaction score
I also ordered a Pedders kit whcih already arrived but I have some questions for DMS since I know you work there before install.
1. Those alighment specs you gave above are the same ones with the OEM specs right?
2. Also if I removed the spring insulators out back to get close to pulling a 4" drop in the rear with the 3.28" Pedders rear coils will it squeak? If it will can I stop it by putting something there apart from the insualtors?

With Pedders drop coils, run the front cambers in the -.5 to -.7 range. The handling will be great. Caster as high as you can get it with the cambers mentioned. Toe at .07 toe in each wheel.

You do not need to transfer the spring insolators from the OE to Pedders coils.

mike
dms

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Alignment sheet

Hey DMS, after I installed the Pedders drop coils the other day and got my factory spec alignment the attached pic is what I got.
What does the maxed out camber notification mean on the top of the sheet?
Is there any thing to worry about, and how often should I get the truck aligned from now on?

Attachments

• Image (4).jpg
    Image (4).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

dms

Reaction score
Hey DMS, after I installed the Pedders drop coils the other day and got my factory spec alignment the attached pic is what I got.
What does the maxed out camber notification mean on the top of the sheet?
Is there any thing to worry about, and how often should I get the truck aligned from now on?

Your alignment is fine, but I would have preferred the cambers to be a little more negative like in the -.5 to -.7 range. Probably a old school kind of guy did the alignment, and is not used to seeing high negative cambers. Maxed out probably means he cannot get it any lower than -.2 degrees.

Alignments should be done on all vehicles, in the 15k to 25k range, or after you hit a big bump or curb.

So nothing to worry about your alignment. You are in great shape!

thanks
mike
dms

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Alright thanks alot!
Another quick question, I'm a suspension freak these day and wanted to know if you think the stock shocks on the Pedders coils will cause quicker wear of the stock shocks?
Also are the Pedders shosks/struts shorter than the stockers?
And last of all, why don't you'll have a damper only kit for the GMT900s, it would be nice an alot cheaper that way?

dms

Reaction score
Alright thanks alot!
Another quick question, I'm a suspension freak these day and wanted to know if you think the stock shocks on the Pedders coils will cause quicker wear of the stock shocks?
Also are the Pedders shosks/struts shorter than the stockers?
And last of all, why don't you'll have a damper only kit for the GMT900s, it would be nice an alot cheaper that way?

The damper levels are higher than OEs by about 30-40%. So the shocks will have to work harder. I cannot tell you how much reduction in life that will cause.

Poeple do not realize it because the wear is gradual, but shocks are pretty much gone an average of 40-50k. The travel is controlled with our coils quite well. So would think at the 40-50K you should replace them. Now our dampers are seriously better than OE. We did our dampers, coils, and sway bar parts kit and took off I think it was 2.8 seconds on a 25-28 second autocross. So they make a huge deal.

I will check out the damper only package and see what we can do

thanks
mike
dms

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the info man, I was just wondering because I don't want to have to replace the shocks anytime soon, too much labor involved down there lol!
Don't mean to bug you with question or anything (look at it like somebody would eventually ask) but that shock wear can be minimized with shock extenders (will get soon) out back right?
And I assume the front shock wear too, so what can minimize that if anything?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMT 900 nut