Shops refusing to disassemble magneride strut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just received my OEM replacement mag struts and new 1” drop springs and removed the defective struts. Now I’m having a hard time finding a shop that will disassemble the old struts to transfer the bellows bump stop and mount onto the new strut and compress the new spring… I called a Lentz and got a really hard no, this
Alignment shop that does some strut work didn’t want anything to do with the magneride struts and started acting like I was asking him to disassembled a nuclear reactor…just wondering has anyone had any luck finding a mainstream shop to do this type of work?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just received my OEM replacement mag struts and new 1” drop springs and removed the defective struts. Now I’m having a hard time finding a shop that will disassemble the old struts to transfer the bellows bump stop and mount onto the new strut and compress the new spring… I called a Lentz and got a really hard no, this
Alignment shop that does some strut work didn’t want anything to do with the magneride struts and started acting like I was asking him to disassembled a nuclear reactor…just wondering has anyone had any luck finding a mainstream shop to do this type of work?
Either just call around to find a shop with a shock compressor or rent one and diy.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either just call around to find a shop with a shock compressor or rent one and diy.
Will do, I’m just a little anxious to get this back together before the weekend. Luckily I have the company truck till the end of the week…

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you’ve already removed the strut assy the rest is easier than trying to explain to random shops what you need done.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you’ve already removed the strut assy the rest is easier than trying to explain to random shops what you need done.
I found a venvor floor standing spring compressor on market place for 60$ but it’s got some really dicey reviews using it with trucks springs…

Reaction score
Definitely don't use those Harbor Freight ones linked above. They aren't heavy duty enough for truck springs.

When I did mine, I put the strut in my bench vise and used a spring compressor kit like this from Amazon

BILITOOLS 2-Piece Coil Spring Compressor Tool Heavy Duty Macpherson Strut Spring Compressor Set with Safety Jaws and Holder, Max Load.2645LB https://a.co/d/81a7xqC

20210925_135314.jpg

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it. That bench top one seems to me the least dangerous of them all lol

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely don't use those Harbor Freight ones linked above. They aren't heavy duty enough for truck springs.

When I did mine, I put the strut in my bench vise and used a spring compressor kit like this from Amazon

BILITOOLS 2-Piece Coil Spring Compressor Tool Heavy Duty Macpherson Strut Spring Compressor Set with Safety Jaws and Holder, Max Load.2645LB https://a.co/d/81a7xqC

View attachment 415803

My god, I got PTSD looking at that setup. And I even can vouch I used a similar setup in my days as a BMW tech, but that style is a literal YOLO.....gigantic shrapnel grenade.

Reaction score
My god, I got PTSD looking at that setup. And I even can vouch I used a similar setup in my days as a BMW tech, but that style is a literal YOLO.....gigantic shrapnel grenade.
Which setup is that?

Those thin Harbor Freight one's will bend and those little pins that are supposed to hold the spring in the hook only fit smaller diameter springs.

The one I used is much more beefier and has a safety ring that connects to both sides and keeps them from rotating on the spring and spreading apart. The hooks that go around the spring also clamp down onto it using a lock ring.

I took precaution when using it, but everything went fine and nothing appeared to bend, stretch, loosen, and all felt pretty solid.

For the occasional use (like once every 100k miles) I'm comfortable with, but if I needed it for shop use I'd want either a Wall mounted or floor mounted unit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts