L86 gen 5 lifter kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's 2015 Escalade ESV started making the dreaded knocker sound. The EMU says there is a po302 code about cylinder two is misfiring. I've tried moving around the spark wire, spark plug and coil pack but it still knocks. I'm now about 98% sure it's the lifter. I will be pulling the valve covers to look at the lifter springs just to make 100% sure. I've called around and it will be between 4-6k but the worst part is the wait time to get in. I've decided there is enough information here and on YouTube to do it myself.

My question is, can anyone recommend an L86 gen5 lifter kit? I don't want to do the DOD/AFM delete because I don't want to have to pull the cam or drop the oil pan. My goal is pull he heads off and inspect the lobs on the cam and if they're good, just replace the lifters and reassemble. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank again!

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to buy a kit from briantooleyracing.com because I had been reading reviews, and everything was positive. I talked to a guy there; he was very knowledgeable about my situation and put together a package for me to review. The total cost was about $1500, but that included everything I would need and a Diablo II computer to reprogram the DOD/AFM delete. I decided just to go ahead and do the delete.

The only things I need to buy now are the water pump and the high-pressure fuel pump. Since everything is out, I might as well replace it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to buy a kit from briantooleyracing.com because I had been reading reviews, and everything was positive. I talked to a guy there; he was very knowledgeable about my situation and put together a package for me to review. The total cost was about $1500, but that included everything I would need and a Diablo II computer to reprogram the DOD/AFM delete. I decided just to go ahead and do the delete.

The only things I need to buy now are the water pump and the high-pressure fuel pump. Since everything is out, I might as well replace it.
Thanks for the update. Please do keep us posted on your progress. I've personally done this job on the Gen IV 6.2L in my 2012, which of course is not the same as your situation but some of the same techniques and tools will still apply.

If you've been running a while with the noise, the odds of the cam being okay will diminish with time. Fingers crossed but replacing the cam isn't a big deal either.

I'm running the BTR springs, valve stem seals, and a few other items from them and they've been fine for the last 30K miles on it. If you post a link to the kit you bought, some of us might have some input for you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz