spare tire kit..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so gm had a old kit to add a spare tire. mine came with nothing spare related besides a air pump haha. long discontinued kit, seems over priced, but I'm getting lazy and thinking about ordering it. but it doesn't quite list my truck. listing I can find show 2008-2010 all, tahoe to caddy. for 2011 only the tahoe hybrid shows up, not the yukon ones. mines a 2011 yukon hybrid. any idea what might have changed in that one year to make the kit not fit.

I was thinking maybe tire size, since the awd stuff is picky about all 4 tires being the same diameter but these hybrids have the 2wd/4wd transfer case and my particular one was ordered the the 17in wheels, not the standard chrome 20s. the spare is a 17in. was going to but the same size tire on it as the truck.

it says free returns, and I don't mind modding something a bit to make it fit if it's not a huge issue. but figured before I hit buy now. I'd bounce the question off the board first.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tire height is the main concern unless you have big brakes. That’s a completely different pit stop process.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think about the brakes. hmm. I do currently have 17s on it and the spare is 17in but also there's not much clearance and I know offset matters. I balanced the wheels with stick in weights last time and they hit the front caliper, but even a 1/4in clearance haha. had to move back to clip on.

I'll have to check part numbers on the brake calipers and rotors.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think about the brakes. hmm. I do currently have 17s on it and the spare is 17in but also there's not much clearance and I know offset matters. I balanced the wheels with stick in weights last time and they hit the front caliper, but even a 1/4in clearance haha. had to move back to clip on.

I'll have to check part numbers on the brake calipers and rotors.
If you put big brakes on the front, then have a front flat, you will need to put the spare on the rear, the put the good rear tire on the front to clear the brakes. 17 inch wheels and big brakes no bueno.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah I haven't done anything but replace the brakes. same size, they seem to stop well enough for me.

Reaction score
My Denali came with a spare that is on a 17" wheel.

Maybe it lists not fitting a hybrid due to the storage/mounting system. Do you have the space underneath behind the bumper? Maybe exhaust is in the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Denali came with a spare that is on a 17" wheel.

Maybe it lists not fitting a hybrid due to the storage/mounting system. Do you have the space underneath behind the bumper? Maybe exhaust is in the way.

my truck doesn't come with a spare or any of the hardware for one. no jack, or anything. gm sold a kit as an add on. dealer option kinda thing and billed 1.5h to install it. the list of vehicles it fits stops a year before mine for yukon and the year of mine for tahoe. so post was mainly asking if anyone knew something that changed from 2010 to 2011 that wlkld would effect the spare kit.

Reaction score
my truck doesn't come with a spare or any of the hardware for one. no jack, or anything. gm sold a kit as an add on. dealer option kinda thing and billed 1.5h to install it. the list of vehicles it fits stops a year before mine for yukon and the year of mine for tahoe. so post was mainly asking if anyone knew something that changed from 2010 to 2011 that wlkld would effect the spare kit.
I understand all that.

I thought I read on here that the exhaust/muffler setup is different on the hybrids. That's why I asked. Maybe it's only different on certain years and doesn't allow room for the spare to mount

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah.. I read that too somewhere. I do have a spring loaded flap in the exhaust between the muffler and the resonator. it is meant to make it even more quiet.

this is what the kit comes with. I think I'm just going to hit by now and see what it does haha.

s-l400.jpg

Reaction score
yeah.. I read that too somewhere. I do have a spring loaded flap in the exhaust between the muffler and the resonator. it is meant to make it even more quiet.

this is what the kit comes with. I think I'm just going to hit by now and see what it does haha.

View attachment 423272
So the spare tire add-on kit comes with exhaust modification parts.

I bet your exhaust is different than the previous years. That's probably why it says it doesn't fit your year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan