Shops refusing to disassemble magneride strut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a performance shop in your area? That would be the best bet, IMO, for finding a shop with the correct spring compressors and the willingness to perform the job.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a venvor floor standing spring compressor on market place for 60$ but it’s got some really dicey reviews using it with trucks springs…
I have that compressor. Can confirm that it’s a total POS for truck springs.

Edit added picture. It looks heavy duty but The whole thing was twisting. The dewalt wood clamps did a better job…..

IMG_0850.jpegIMG_0784.jpeg

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The better bet is looking for a “machine shop” Those guys get it and not afraid of compressing a spring.

Don’t forget the spring seats at the bottom of the new struts. A lot of trucks seem to have them missing.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a place that services suspensions on big commercial trucks and buses willing to swap everything over and compress the springs! After reinstalling the new strut assembly’s I also ended up replacing both rear shocks with OEM GM air shocks and a discounted used-like new Amazon return dorman compressor. The 1” drop springs didn’t seem to cause any issues with the ride height sensors after slightly shortening the connecting rods. The compressor kicked on for the first time since owning the truck and we’re up to 26 psi! I took it for a hot lap around the block, what a night and day difference in ride quality. It seems stiff compared to riding on just the springs for the last few weeks. It’s been an expensive week but definitely worth it.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that compressor. Can confirm that it’s a total POS for truck springs.

Edit added picture. It looks heavy duty but The whole thing was twisting. The dewalt wood clamps did a better job…..

View attachment 415842View attachment 415843
lol wow. It’s kind of entertaining reading all the different spring compressor reviews on Amazon lol. I ended up finding a suspension shop that caters to big rig and larger commercial trucks to do it for 120$ but I also ordered the compressor goofyguy recommended just in case if they called back with bad news. Luckily I was able to cancel the order before they shipped it out. I’m glad that’s over with…

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My god, I got PTSD looking at that setup. And I even can vouch I used a similar setup in my days as a BMW tech, but that style is a literal YOLO.....gigantic shrapnel grenade.

Is there a performance shop in your area? That would be the best bet, IMO, for finding a shop with the correct spring compressors and the willingness to perform the job.
That was one of the first places I called and they referred me to the the shop who didn’t want anything to do with the mag
Struts, the guy was real freaked out about the idea and recommended that I return them for a Arnot z95 delete. I found a commercial suspension shop who did the swap in a couple hours for 120$

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I love the brothers at the heavy line and diesel shops. They love working on our 1/2 ton trucks because they’re a breeze compared to what they normally wrench on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol wow. It’s kind of entertaining reading all the different spring compressor reviews on Amazon lol. I ended up finding a suspension shop that caters to big rig and larger commercial trucks to do it for 120$ but I also ordered the compressor goofyguy recommended just in case if they called back with bad news. Luckily I was able to cancel the order before they shipped it out. I’m glad that’s over with…
that's about the going rate last time i had mine done it was $50 each
and 26 psi is a good static psi with no load on the vehicle.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a place that services suspensions on big commercial trucks and buses willing to swap everything over and compress the springs! After reinstalling the new strut assembly’s I also ended up replacing both rear shocks with OEM GM air shocks and a discounted used-like new Amazon return dorman compressor. The 1” drop springs didn’t seem to cause any issues with the ride height sensors after slightly shortening the connecting rods. The compressor kicked on for the first time since owning the truck and we’re up to 26 psi! I took it for a hot lap around the block, what a night and day difference in ride quality. It seems stiff compared to riding on just the springs for the last few weeks. It’s been an expensive week but definitely worth it.
Super happy that you looked for and found a shop that would easily handle your needs. Now, you will be able to experience the ride improvement that an active suspension delivers. If you want to complete the suspension and handling upgrade experience, purchase and install a set of Hellwig sway bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts