Little preview of my HID retro...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides, it's his fault for starting his thread before he was done with the project....lol.

Teaser threads.. LMAO.. But at least he posted up a pretty good pic up of it and not a box. lol...

Like I mentioned above, too, you don't have to get the expensive Matsushita or Morimoto ballasts for this to work. They may in the long run be more reliable, but as long as the ones you get work, that's going to be what matters to you at the end of the day. You can save $100 and get DDM's. There's not much you can do, short of getting lucky on ebay or something, about the price of good projectors, though.

Sounds like those Matsu & Morimoto might be the better bet, like phsyc said i think, dont trust the DDM's to actually produce what they should. At least i have noticed that a little w/ some other ballasts i have. (off topic though)
Thanks for all your info also. Once i get all this figured out, i will be probly contacting both of you guys.

Heres a question for you guys though, sorry if not really on topic here, Sorry Pysch. but for the retro, this is one thing im uncertain about. The starting headlight. I have some Halo projectors, they are alright, but i see everyone doing all kinds of headlights. Whats a good starting light to get. (again sorry if off topic) can pm me if better.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'd go with DEPO's for two reasons: first, I know you can bake them apart if you need to. Some, many actually, aftermarket lights are basically cemented shut and impossible to take apart.

Second, the DEPO projectors are roughly the same size as several real HID projectors, and on the Denali lights anyway were easy to remove. And I didn't have to do any trimming to the headlight itself, just slid the TSX's in the existing holes. The Tahoe projectors may be a different fitment issue, though. We'll see what physh says about that.

ILLEGAL REGAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lemme ask this...

whats the plus side of doing all this work to switch projectors? Is it to use a different bulb or is the depo projector that ******?

OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at the depo projector it's not that bad actually. Darn clear lens but optical quality? Dunno...

The only thing I really see as an issue is cooling & ventilation. The Lexus projector has a hole for airflow & heat escape while the depo projector has zero ventilation.

Cameron

westcoast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll do it.

For a hefty fee....I don't have a lot of free time. And you'd have to mail it all to me in Alaska.....lol.

Seriously, the Denali ones aren't that hard. Most of my time was spent waiting for things to dry/cure. The actual work was only a couple of hours. Follow the link in my signature if you haven't seen it yet.

Oh, but you do have to re-shape your windshield wiper fluid reservoir a bit to make the driver's side fit. A little heat gun action fixed that, though. I got really worried when it became apparent there was no way the retro'd light was going to fit without removing the wiper fluid, though....

Lol thanks for the offer:Handshake:Im only asking him cause Im not savy in that dept and hes 30min away from me. Also its for my tahoe I think Im done with the Denali for now. I do have the 6k kit already in my tahoe but no depo's yet.

After looking at the depo projector it's not that bad actually. Darn clear lens but optical quality? Dunno...

The only thing I really see as an issue is cooling & ventilation. The Lexus projector has a hole for airflow & heat escape while the depo projector has zero ventilation.

Cameron

Cam did you have to move or modify anything behind the lights? did it clear the driver side?:cool:

OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would consider doing it. I'm sure all said & told I'll have 15 hours in my headlight set. I'm sure I could widdle that down to 10 hours over 3 days...

It's a lot of work...

As far as fit I think it'll be fine. I haven't fit them yet BUT they are no bigger now than they were with the depo projector.

When all is done we'll touch base & you can take a closer look at this...see if you want to try it too.

Cameron

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
The overall size of the projector wasn't the issue with mine, it was the depth the D2S bulb and adapter added. It may clear just fine on the Tahoe's, though, I'm not saying it won't. Just my personal experience on the Denali to go on.

Aaron...the main difference is the optics are better on the retros and, more important, made for HID's. The DEPO's do a decent job with HID, but are made to be a halogen bulb projector, and the lenses on mine were cheap acrylic or something. And one wasn't even centered, so for optimal results I still say spend the money on an actual HID projector.

Last edited:

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I like them alot!
Wonder how well they work.. someone buy them pricey bastards and let us know how they work

Without a good night shot on a flat wall from a bit of a distance there is no way to tell how well they actually work. That's my biggest issue with that. It's a clean project and potentially very good, just can't really tell what the output is like. I do like that they are bi-xenon, though. I wish I had done that from the get-go.

Also really not sure what kit/projector he is using there. The install is pretty sweet and easy, though, that's for sure.

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieselDean