Little preview of my HID retro...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give me a few more days & I'll have a huge step by step write up...like 50 pics worth...lol...

Cameron

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice thanks. i have ebery thing except new bulbs and projectors

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the step by step i think if I replace my headlights ittl be by doing this its not worth blowing all this money on other hid setups and realizing its a mediocre setup after the cash is gone...looking forward to the rest...Thanks for the write up Cameron!!

OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prob...just want to make sure everything is done, works, & has the bugs worked out before I post up a tech how-to...most importantly I want to make sure it aligns ok...

Won't be long...just 1 more headlight to do...

Cameron

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prob...just want to make sure everything is done, works, & has the bugs worked out before I post up a tech how-to...most importantly I want to make sure it aligns ok...

Won't be long...just 1 more headlight to do...

Cameron

just one more?? there's only 2!!

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
just one more?? there's only 2!!

That's the problem with telling people what you're working on around here....they all start pestering you to hurry up and get it done and write an in-depth, picture loaded how-to.....

.....and then complain because, while it may look good and out-perform anything else, they don't want to spend that much money.

;)

Just an FYI that might be of interest:

I started out with the Matsushita ballasts. Still have them, in the spare parts drawer. I couldn't resist trying 55w HID's in my setup, so I got some of the slim DDM's when they were really cheap. I haven't had any problems and they are even brighter, but still have a great cutoff. The Matsushitas fire up faster, and are designed to last longer than you own your car, so they are built extremely well. I don't know how long the DDM's will last, but for the price it's almost a moot point.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the problem with telling people what you're working on around here....they all start pestering you to hurry up and get it done and write an in-depth, picture loaded how-to.....

.....and then complain because, while it may look good and out-perform anything else, they don't want to spend that much money.

;)

Well Geez, i take it you were pestered alot about yours.

Well i for one am in no hurry. I am just looking forward to your progress and final verdict. I have saved, denaliaks', this one, and anyone that made a Diy thread for retro's. One day i am going to do it. Just would like all the info i can get on it before i start. For not wanting to spend the money, i did say that was alot, but who says spending 300 bucks for a light isnt alot? Just found it alot for some headlights. Of course i will be spending that also once i attempt this. Besides most folks on the net wont, dont do half of what they see any way, from my experience. I for one, WILL be doing this one day once i get all the info i have and read, and research it thoroughly. Before i mess it up. With that said, take your time and post what you can when you can.

No rush, like i said before, i for one, appreciate ALL your write ups you do. I have followed some of them and have helped me tremendously out. I wish i could do the same. But all i can do is help from my knowledge of doing something..

(please dont take this wrong either, not mad, bashing or nothing) I completely understand what your saying.):Handshake:

Last edited:

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Well Geez, i take it you were pestered alot about yours.

Well i for one am in no hurry. I am just looking forward to your progress and final verdict. I have saved, denaliaks', this one, and anyone that made a Diy thread for retro's. One day i am going to do it. Just would like all the info i can get on it before i start. For not wanting to spend the money, i did say that was alot, but who says spending 300 bucks for a light isnt alot? Just found it alot for some headlights. Of course i will be spending that also once i attempt this. Besides most folks on the net wont, dont do half of what they see any way, from my experience. I for one, WILL be doing this one day once i get all the info i have and read, and research it thoroughly. Before i mess it up. With that said, take your time and post what you can when you can.

No rush, like i said before, i for one, appreciate ALL your write ups you do. I have followed some of them and have helped me tremendously out. I wish i could do the same. But all i can do is help from my knowledge of doing something..

(please dont take this wrong either, not mad, bashing or nothing) I completely understand what your saying.):Handshake:

Yeah, it's all good. I was saying that more tongue-in-cheek than anything. I totally understand and even respect the research and wanting to do it right when you can. This is all information sharing and helping each other out. That's one of the things that makes this forum stand out from any other automotive forum I've been a part of. Everyone is almost universally cool and willing to help out.

Besides, it's his fault for starting his thread before he was done with the project....lol.

Like I mentioned above, too, you don't have to get the expensive Matsushita or Morimoto ballasts for this to work. They may in the long run be more reliable, but as long as the ones you get work, that's going to be what matters to you at the end of the day. You can save $100 and get DDM's. There's not much you can do, short of getting lucky on ebay or something, about the price of good projectors, though.

westcoast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow awesome! Cameron you wanna do my setup? lol Ive got the 6k hids and Ive been on the fence about getting the Depo and now that I know you have retrofit these, thats just awesome!

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
wow awesome! Cameron you wanna do my setup? lol Ive got the 6k hids and Ive been on the fence about getting the Depo and now that I know you have retrofit these, thats just awesome!

I'll do it.

For a hefty fee....I don't have a lot of free time. And you'd have to mail it all to me in Alaska.....lol.

Seriously, the Denali ones aren't that hard. Most of my time was spent waiting for things to dry/cure. The actual work was only a couple of hours. Follow the link in my signature if you haven't seen it yet.

Oh, but you do have to re-shape your windshield wiper fluid reservoir a bit to make the driver's side fit. A little heat gun action fixed that, though. I got really worried when it became apparent there was no way the retro'd light was going to fit without removing the wiper fluid, though....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevelle ss