Morimoto Mini H1 Retro DIY/Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbosscher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. I am somewhat new to the forums here and have been lurking for a couple weeks now. I am a new proud owner of a 2005 Tahoe LT 5.3 and have thoroughly enjoyed the truck so far. I just wanted to share my experience with a HID Projector retrofit as an FYI for anyone looking to do this mod. A little background on myself, I have done a couple different retrofits on my previous ride, a 2002.5 VW GTI VR6 (much less room to work with and much more involved that this). Anyways, on with the DIY:

Parts:
Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors from the Retrofit Source (Highly recommend this for all HID needs, very friendly and knowledgeable staff with fast shipping)
4300K bulbs (personal preference, but the most usable light output)
Morimito 3five ballasts and harness
Mini Gatling Gun Shroud (comes with the below kit)
***headlight re-sealing glue ($10 from TRS at the time of this posting)

All of the above can be purchased as a package called the "Morimoto Mini H1 Stage III Kit"

Donor Headlights
***There is another DIY on here that uses clear lense Reflector headlights as donors. I tried this message and destroyed a new set of Sonor branded headlights attempting to take them apart. Not recommended

Depo Projector Headlights are used in this retro (much easier, no lense removal necessary, about the same cost)

Pictures Below, I apologize about some missing steps, I did not think to take pictues until halfway through this....

Steps:

1. Remove the mounting hardware from the back of the Depo Projectors (fairly self explanatory, just remove the phillips screws and the plastic bracket comes off)

2. Bake the headlights individually in the oven to heat up the glue surrounding the stock Depo projector. 275 degrees for 15 minutes worked for me. ( a heat gun may also work

3. Remove the stock Depo projector. Patience and finesse are key here. Resist the urge to pry with a screwdriver, the hot plastic will crack and you will kick yourself if you break a set of headlights at this step on the process. Make sure to mark what is level with a sharpie by eyeballing the projector shield on the headlight backing for reference later. Basically the middle of the sides of the projector. You will thank yourself later when you have this for reference.

4. Cut out the remaining shroud in the headlight, no way around this- it will not be able to be removed without cutting. I used just a set of wire cutters to minimize dust

5. Mount the shroud to the projector that comes in the kit. 4 small phillips screws included

6. Set the projector with the shroud mounted in the hole the stock depo projector left

7. Line up the cutoff line in the new projector with the marks you made on the headlight to ensure a straight beam pattern

8. I drilled 3 small pilot holes on the top, bottom, and side as seen in the pictures and used small stainless screws to mount the new projector and shroud in the Depo housing

9. Using the Headlight resealing "glue" I just stuffed this putty-like substance in the back surrounding the new projector anywhere you think water may be able to enter the housing. You want to make sure you do a thorough job here, moisture is you enemy in your headlight.

10. Mount the headlight to make sure everything looks straight, adjust and enjoy

11. I left out the wiring of the harness and bi-xenon section. Refer to TRS for this. You will need to do the 4-hi mod for the bi-xenon part to work. Cost is $1 and takes about 10 minutes from Radio Shack.

This entire process took me about 1.5 hours, but was a bit exploratory. You may be able to do it quicker. Take your time lining up the projector. You will appreciate a straight cutoff line down the road.

Pics of the process below:

2011-12-20174313.jpg
2011-12-20174318.jpg
2011-12-20174324.jpg
2011-12-20174332.jpg
2011-12-21130303.jpg
2011-12-21183046.jpg
2011-12-21183117.jpg
2011-12-21183107.jpg
2011-12-21183101.jpg

Headlights are very bright and colorful in person, and this is exaggerated at a distance. Very much enjoy and recommend this mod to anyone. Let me know if you have any questions-

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome T. It's good to see people doing write ups and how to's but they need to be easy for a novice, like myself, to understand. Below each step should be a pic of that step. I only saw 4 pics of the finished product and some output shots. For example, step 3, " Resist the urge to pry with a screwdriver, the hot plastic will crack and you will kick yourself if you break a set of headlights at this step on the process. Make sure to mark what is level with a sharpie by eyeballing the projector shield on the headlight backing for reference later. Basically the middle of the sides of the projector. You will thank yourself later when you have this for reference.", what should I use if not a screwdriver? And then the marking what is level is kind of confusing to me, imo. Not trying to put you down but if I were to do a retro, I wouldn't refer to your DIY. Anyways, cutoff looks alright but why doesn't the output go any lower than it does?

OP
OP
T

tbosscher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No worries. Sorry if this is not thorough enough, just wanted to post some info about my experience as an FYI. These are all the photos I took, I cannot go back and take additional photos now. The screwdriver question is just as I posted it. If you use a screwdriver you increase the chance that you will crack the headlight housing. It is best to twist and pull by hand. Also, the height of the beam pattern is due to the distance the truck is from the garage door (15 ft or so, limited by driveway distance) If you back up it lowers. These are adjusted very well and I am extremely happy with the results. If you have any questions not answered here I would recommend checking out HIDPlanet forums or the forums on the retrofit source website (there are DIY videos that are very helpful for the novice). There is much helpful information posted there. Good luck and Happy Friday/Merry Christmas.:party33:

Last edited:

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info:Handshake:. Thorough or not, it's still interesting to see other's projects and mods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21RST

Latest posts