I've had 3 of these new Tahoe/Yukons..no issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdskycaster

Reaction score
In my search for a new vehicle there are at least 2 "side lot" type dealers in the metro selling nearly new copies of Yukon's and Tahoe's below book value. The Yukon's I found all had less than 20K miles on them. The problem is there is no way to know exactly where they came from. The VIN check's did not indicate they were lemon law buy-back vehicles which I think has to be indicated on the title if GM is buying them back as lemon's. I know this only because I purposely bought a G6 lemon law return from a local dealer here and did not care because it came with a full factory warranty and was so far under book I could have junked it out and not lost a dollar on it.

Pretty sure there are laws specifying how auto manufacturers have to deal with buy-backs but I could be wrong. The first I thought when I saw the advertised prices of the used Denali's here on the side lots was that the prices looked too good to be true and questioned the fact that these were not sitting on a dealers lot vs a side lot situation with no title history - private owner or rental car company unit for example.

pfennig_san

Reaction score
In my search for a new vehicle there are at least 2 "side lot" type dealers in the metro selling nearly new copies of Yukon's and Tahoe's below book value. The Yukon's I found all had less than 20K miles on them. The problem is there is no way to know exactly where they came from. The VIN check's did not indicate they were lemon law buy-back vehicles which I think has to be indicated on the title if GM is buying them back as lemon's. I know this only because I purposely bought a G6 lemon law return from a local dealer here and did not care because it came with a full factory warranty and was so far under book I could have junked it out and not lost a dollar on it.

Pretty sure there are laws specifying how auto manufacturers have to deal with buy-backs but I could be wrong. The first I thought when I saw the advertised prices of the used Denali's here on the side lots was that the prices looked too good to be true and questioned the fact that these were not sitting on a dealers lot vs a side lot situation with no title history - private owner or rental car company unit for example.

There is a big difference between being forced to buy back and choosing to buy a vehicle back because a dealer is tired of dealing with complaints. In the later case, the dealer is not going to document anything derogatory on the vehicle and nothing unusual will show up on a VIN search, only that the dealer bought it. I haven't heard that GM has been forced to buy any Tahoes or Yukons back.

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a big difference between being forced to buy back and choosing to buy a vehicle back because a dealer is tired of dealing with complaints. In the later case, the dealer is not going to document anything derogatory on the vehicle and nothing unusual will show up on a VIN search, only that the dealer bought it. I haven't heard that GM has been forced to buy any Tahoes or Yukons back.

So when a customer and gm go to arbitration , that's not considered "forced" to buy back? It may not end up being documented as a forced buyback even though it is.

It is true that many aren't considered forced (mainly due to the track record...gm knows they will lose) but There are numerous 15+ cases that went to arbitration.

I think what trail is left is typically ownership will show private first then back to gm vehicle in some form after before being listed for sale again.

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 3 main, distinct issues with these vehicles. I think they are getting lumped together but are very distinct. Some have all issues.
1. Buffeting - This is the sensation of having one window down. People feel it in their ears or get nauseous. Usually shows up about 45mph.
2. Vibrations - This is self explanatory. Usually 45+ mph but I've read a lot occur around 70mph.
3. Booming - This is low speed booming over road imperfections. Concrete road seams, gravel roads, bumps. I've heard it likened to flicking a subwoofer with your finger. Most noticeable below 15mph. I personally believe (as does another poster above) that all new Tahoes and Yukons do this to some degree. Some people may not notice or are just used to it, but it is there.

Doesn't No.1 & 3 typically happen together?

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The booming is typically a low speed issue...the buffeting typically occurs 45mph+

Chris T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doesn't No.1 & 3 typically happen together?

Not necessarily. I had a boomer with sporadic vibrations above 70mph but no buffeting. What a crap design. I feel sorry for those with the trifecta. Sold mine, enjoying the new Audi Q7 and no booming over slight road imperfections.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OPs story made me laugh. Three trucks since 15' and it's supposed to be impressive vehicles that were never even used had no issues. Uh ok. Anyway what's the "booming" you guys refer too? Never heard of that?

Chris T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The OPs story made me laugh. Three trucks since 15' and it's supposed to be impressive vehicles that were never even used had no issues. Uh ok. Anyway what's the "booming" you guys refer too? Never heard of that?

See post 14 above.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's just a normal characteristic of body on frame vehicles by the sound of it. Trucks boom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo