I've had 3 of these new Tahoe/Yukons..no issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BobDobalina

Reaction score
I have had two, a 2015 Tahoe and a 2017 Suburban and neither have had problems. I have had a lot of people in them and no one has complained. I even made sure my family knew the potential problems when we were buying the new one and took it for an extended test drive with them in the truck. No problems. Where I live these vehicles are everywhere -- they are hugely popular.

It is good for people to know about the potential problem, whether it is particular to the person, vehicle or both, and purchasers should do their homework when buying one. I am glad that I knew what to look for when buying. If you get one that does not cause problems for you, they are very good vehicles.

I have taken 700 mile trips in my 15 and 16 with passengers and only thing they say is how quiet they were. We have a fleet of these things at work and a few 2012s and nobody wants to drive the older ones.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am VERY picky to noise, ride and feel of vehicles. I was also unlucky with Grand Cherokees having differential noises in every one I had back in the day so I'm not lucky! Lol. Here is a breakdown of my 3. 2015 Tahoe LS with single speed TC and 3.08s. Was EARLY Feb 14 build. No issues with stock tires or when switched to Revo 2. Had it till 30k miles. 2016 Yukon SLE 2 speed TC with 3.42s and 20" wheels. Only issue was wind howl popped up at 5000 miles in strong crosswinds. Was seal around drivers mirror. Had it only 7500 miles till my current 17 Z71 2 speed TC, 3.42s. Only common issue on all 3 is noise from center console plastics on sharp bumps. Taken care of by me with 3m silicone spray. All ride smooth as glass at all speeds. Thats my experience. .hope it helps someone.

View attachment 76666

View attachment 76667

View attachment 76668
GREAT post and good to see someone make a positive thread now and then on this platform of SUV. Obviously, it didn't take long to start taking the negative tone but I applaud the positivity and giving people who may come here to gain more knowledge on these another perspective to look from.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2016 Tahoe LT brand new in October 2016..The build date was in August 2016..It is 2WD with 20 inch Continental tires..I keep 35lbs in them all around.

After just a week of getting my Tahoe [after putting on only 150 miles] I took it on a road trip to NYC..Took it all over New Jersey on Route 3,4,80 Garden State Parkway and also went to upstate New York via New York State Thruway.

I felt zero issues of buffeting or any vibrations..On the way up from Miami got up to 80-85 MPH at times and all was quiet..It was pleasure to drive..The 24 hour run ended up being 34 hours due to major gridlock from Virginia on to NYC..The Tahoe was so comfortable I did not mind the gridlock..Ended up spending a extra night out due to the traffic but that was fine with me.

With that said I have rented several 2015 and 2016 Tahoes and Suburbans [some early 2015] and took them on long trips and none of them showed signs of any of those buffeting issues..I also spoke to at least a dozen owners of 2015 and 2016 Tahoes and Suburbans while on the road and none of them complained about anything..I even asked them about buffeting and vibrations..Some of them were renting them for long trips and liked them so much they planned on looking for one after their trip was over..The ones large families definitely said the Suburban over the Tahoe.

I like a very quiet vehicle like everyone else here..I never even crack a window and just set the a/c and never touch it..The Tahoe is definitely a quiet vehicle IMHO.

Only issue in my Tahoe is very slight rattle on the console tray...With the radio on [which is all the time] I can barely hear it..Will use the silicone spray on it in the near future.

Also my friends in New Jersey keep saying how well the Tahoe rode and how well it took the nasty potholes on Route 3..My friends wife is handicapped and can barely walk with her cane and she had zero issues getting in and out of my Tahoe..She said he can barely get in and out of her miserable 2014 Santa Fe.

What also surprised me with the Tahoe was most vehicles burn more fuel when they are new..My Tahoe immediately got 24 mpg on the highway on regular fuel..I could have went almost 500 miles on a tank if I wanted.

If had to get the Tahoe replaced for some reason I would definitely buy another one in heartbeat!!!!!

Sorry for the long boring post.

Chris T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are 3 main, distinct issues with these vehicles. I think they are getting lumped together but are very distinct. Some have all issues.
1. Buffeting - This is the sensation of having one window down. People feel it in their ears or get nauseous. Usually shows up about 45mph.
2. Vibrations - This is self explanatory. Usually 45+ mph but I've read a lot occur around 70mph.
3. Booming - This is low speed booming over road imperfections. Concrete road seams, gravel roads, bumps. I've heard it likened to flicking a subwoofer with your finger. Most noticeable below 15mph. I personally believe (as does another poster above) that all new Tahoes and Yukons do this to some degree. Some people may not notice or are just used to it, but it is there.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 3 main, distinct issues with these vehicles. I think they are getting lumped together but are very distinct. Some have all issues.
1. Buffeting - This is the sensation of having one window down. People feel it in their ears or get nauseous. Usually shows up about 45mph.
2. Vibrations - This is self explanatory. Usually 45+ mph but I've read a lot occur around 70mph.
3. Booming - This is low speed booming over road imperfections. Concrete road seams, gravel roads, bumps. I've heard it likened to flicking a subwoofer with your finger. Most noticeable below 15mph. I personally believe (as does another poster above) that all new Tahoes and Yukons do this to some degree. Some people may not notice or are just used to it, but it is there.
Does anyone know of any new videos for these 3 problems or someone should make one. (Please have someone else record while you drive) late 2016 to 2017.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any new videos for these 3 problems or someone should make one. (Please have someone else record while you drive) late 2016 to 2017.

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So owners know what to look for or hear.
Personally I hear all type of sounds but I know is a Danm truck. Just put some music and roll. I see so many of them around that I just think that is the people been too picky.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I hear all type of sounds but I know is a Danm truck. Just put some music and roll. I see so many of them around that I just think that is the people been too picky.

I drove a brand new 2017 Suburban 2wd on 20in factory wheels a week ago. The buffeting sound was so faint at highway speeds that I'm not sure I would've even noticed it if I'd had the radio on and/or not have read so many posts here about it. It was detectable above 45mph but even at 75-80mph was not annoying, uncomfortable, or creating a pressurized sensation....to me. Others are more or less sensitive to it obviously. Other than that, the truck was exactly what I was hoping for, rode smooth as glass and handled road imperfections well for being on the factory Continentals. When I decide on either a Sub or Tahoe, mine will have slightly bigger tires of a better quality on it from day one.

Like you, I literally see more 2015+ full size GM suv's in a day here than I care to count, more so than any other brand. They really are everywhere. I believe these issues exist, no doubt, but I don't believe that the majority of the trucks have them as badly as some of the unfortunate individuals have experienced here. Obviously the bad units are out there and are a huge pain to own and deal with. But I haven't seen evidence myself yet (out of the 3 2017 models I've driven) that it is difficult to find a suitable one on the lot.

My experience isn't scientific by any means. And my level of perceived pressure or buffeting will not be the same as everyone else's either.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise I'm pretty sure is there.
I been a passenger in an MB SL500 and a Lexus LS 460. Both cars are amazing on the rode. You close that door an is like Vault. Super quiet.
Now. I been a passenger on a MB ML500 and our current Lexus GX 460.
just I expected to be. Again is a Danm truck/SUV. It will never be the same.
I wish I can record for an hour or next time I'll take a picture of the parking lot where is 100s of these trucks.
My wife love this truck but I showed her this video...
But people swear by them

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've owned many other trucks. This is completely different.

But here's a primer on what to look for:

Vibration at 75+ will rattle your fillings loose.

Buffetting sounds like a rear window cracked open.

Booming sounds like a massive bass tube playing but there's no music on.

If this were 'nitpicking' GM wouldn't be forced to buy them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk