I've had 3 of these new Tahoe/Yukons..no issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in again...Yes, this is not about being picky or wanting perfection. It's not so much a defined sound as it is a sensation. I suppose under a bad case one might be able to pick it up when recording but I'd say most of the issue would not be able to be recorded. It is a sensation/pressure feeling, ears constantly pop, etc...and again, it seems that many just don't feel it or aren't susceptible to it. I've now been in several where the owner claims it rides perfect and has no strange noises or anything and after riding along, the buffeting was present. I've rented two (16 yukon / 16 tahoe), have family members that own them and they have all exhibited the problem not to mention the other 10+ I've test driven. Ours has the low speed booming as well, but I can live with it even though we shouldn't for a $60k vehicle.

THere is a problem and GM has acknowledge it with no real fix or answer. There are multiple forums, facebook pages, TSB, etc. all regarding the issue going back to 2014.

If you don't notice it or don't have the problem, be fortunate and enjoy your truck!

Once I find the time, I plan to test drive a few 17s to compare before deciding what to do with our 15. I'm planning to take a serious look at the new Expedition once it arrives.

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise I'm pretty sure is there.
I been a passenger in an MB SL500 and a Lexus LS 460. Both cars are amazing on the rode. You close that door an is like Vault. Super quiet.
Now. I been a passenger on a MB ML500 and our current Lexus GX 460.
just I expected to be. Again is a Danm truck/SUV. It will never be the same.
I wish I can record for an hour or next time I'll take a picture of the parking lot where is 100s of these trucks.
My wife love this truck but I showed her this video...
But people swear by them

I saw this a few years ago and it is hilarious...

Ironically, my daily driver is a 2011 grand cherokee overland. Bought it new and recently hit 90k... has been to the dealer one time over that 5+yr period.

Last edited:

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read somewhere that the problem is more with the Suburban or the long version than the shorter Tahoe version of the truck. IIRC What I think the problem was is the roof is buffeting, I am not sure if they have corrected the issue or not in the newer cars, but it probably wouldn't take much to add some glue, silicone or seam sealer in the structure above the headliner.

It was a few years back when I read the article, not sure if that is the only problem with the buffeting tho.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's paper of it but many factors can contribute to the buffeting.

By the way, there are several videos that have been posted of the roof on these trucks flexing like a rubber band during normal driving conditions.

Take a look at the hood the next time on the hWY and watch how badly it flexes. The roof is 10x worse.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, It may be as simple as inconsistencies or variations in the thickness of the sheet metal for the Roof from the press process..

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove a new 2017 Tahoe premier 2wd with 3.42's and 20in factory wheels today.....

No buffeting. It did have a vibration I could feel in the steering wheel starting at around 35-40mph. It did not worsen at higher speeds though. It felt like out of round tires, based on my past experience with things like that, but I can't be certain of the actual cause. Could have been the alignment also I suppose, either way I wouldn't have signed my name on any papers for this particular unit.

The 17 suburban I drove a few weeks ago was smooth as glass at all speeds, same wheels and tires. This Tahoe was noticeably different.

I will be making an 8hr drive in early April in a new Tahoe rental on 18in wheels, so we will see how that performs in comparison.

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said in another thread..

Asking this type of question always gets the worst examples on the pile to throw their reviews.

Owner of a 2000 Yukon SLT from 2000-2006 and had one issue with it being the Starter going up in 2005. Got under the vehicle myself after buying a Starter from Advanced Auto, installed.. drove another 30K miles (170K in total) before letting her go due to seeing the 2007s (GMT900) arrive.

Owner of 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ from 2006-2014. No issues at all except the Stabilitrak wires being chewed on by a damn unlucky squirrel and for some reason having to change my Brake Caliper BRACKET because aftermarket brake pads just wouldn't slide in properly. Traded in with 150+K

Owner of 2015 GMC Yukon SLT.. No issues with the truck except that it came with Continentals. Put Michilen LTXs on after 36K (1K ago) and "OH WHAT A FEELING!!!" (Toyota Pun.. EFF Toyota.. for all time)

This truck is reliable.. beautiful.. comfy.. powerful. OH.. I wish like hell that I had of gotten Full Backseat instead of Capt. Chairs. My Yukon has on occasion after meeting a lady or two.. been my "hotel" and its hard to really get down with Capt Seats. My last two were full seats and was better than a king size bed when used for this recreationi70mfl.jpg

So in summary..
1) If U can afford.. get Escalade.. I prefer the look over all but at the time I bought all they had was the ESV and I think the size is too much for me
2) Buy Michilens..or work it in the deal
3) Get Full Size Back seat.. better for recreational purposed

Last edited:

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise I'm pretty sure is there.
I been a passenger in an MB SL500 and a Lexus LS 460. Both cars are amazing on the rode. You close that door an is like Vault. Super quiet.
Now. I been a passenger on a MB ML500 and our current Lexus GX 460.
just I expected to be. Again is a Danm truck/SUV. It will never be the same.
I wish I can record for an hour or next time I'll take a picture of the parking lot where is 100s of these trucks.
My wife love this truck but I showed her this video...
But people swear by them

Mine is pretty quite.. but in truth it is not as quiet as my CTS-V in Touring Mode or my Impala. Its a TRUCK. Go figure. Some of the complainers need to buy an Enclave. That thing is like riding in a vault while being deaf and having 10 lbs of cotton stuffed in your ears

OP
OP
B

BobDobalina

Reaction score
^^^you have a 2015+ truck ?

No but he has a CTS and Impala and gets down with all the ladies in his 14 Panty Dropper Yukon. Lol. Riding in a 14 compared to a 15,16,17 is like a time warp. Especially the steering, handling and interior layout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts