I've had 3 of these new Tahoe/Yukons..no issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobDobalina

Reaction score
I am VERY picky to noise, ride and feel of vehicles. I was also unlucky with Grand Cherokees having differential noises in every one I had back in the day so I'm not lucky! Lol. Here is a breakdown of my 3. 2015 Tahoe LS with single speed TC and 3.08s. Was EARLY Feb 14 build. No issues with stock tires or when switched to Revo 2. Had it till 30k miles. 2016 Yukon SLE 2 speed TC with 3.42s and 20" wheels. Only issue was wind howl popped up at 5000 miles in strong crosswinds. Was seal around drivers mirror. Had it only 7500 miles till my current 17 Z71 2 speed TC, 3.42s. Only common issue on all 3 is noise from center console plastics on sharp bumps. Taken care of by me with 3m silicone spray. All ride smooth as glass at all speeds. Thats my experience. .hope it helps someone.

20160331_153838.jpg

20160818_094615.jpg

20170304_142440.jpg

mck024

Reaction score
Wait, I thought people only posted on these forums when they had problems with their vehicles! This leads me to believe no more than 99% of these trucks are poorly engineered, pieces of junk.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am VERY picky to noise, ride and feel of vehicles. I was also unlucky with Grand Cherokees having differential noises in every one I had back in the day so I'm not lucky! Lol. Here is a breakdown of my 3. 2015 Tahoe LS with single speed TC and 3.08s. Was EARLY Feb 14 build. No issues with stock tires or when switched to Revo 2. Had it till 30k miles. 2016 Yukon SLE 2 speed TC with 3.42s and 20" wheels. Only issue was wind howl popped up at 5000 miles in strong crosswinds. Was seal around drivers mirror. Had it only 7500 miles till my current 17 Z71 2 speed TC, 3.42s. Only common issue on all 3 is noise from center console plastics on sharp bumps. Taken care of by me with 3m silicone spray. All ride smooth as glass at all speeds. Thats my experience. .hope it helps someone.

View attachment 76666

View attachment 76667

View attachment 76668

Thanks for that info, that is helpful. Nice looking trucks by the way!

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're missing a key point in your OP - the person matters - I read where you're very sensitive to NVH

I'm the opposite, I've been in almost 50 of these SUVs (and own one), and I can feel the booming sensation in all of them - even ones where the owner swears it is perfect

So it really comes down to the person, that's why I tell anyone shopping to go test drive a few first, you'll know right away if you're sensitive to the issue or not

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only driven one 2017 Tahoe and one 2017 suburban, neither of which exhibited anything undesirable during the short time I drove. Admittedly I didn't have either on the highway or at highway speed for more than 2-3 miles though.

I'm sure some notice these things we are discussing more than others. Personally I have always been very particular when it comes to rattles and unusual sounds/vibrations.....drives me crazy and if I can't track it down and stop it, the truck goes in to the dealer. But, driving a cummins diesel pickup every day with aggressive tires on it, then jumping in a Tahoe or suburban....I'm pretty fixated on how quiet it is at any speed by comparison, as well as the 180 degree different/smoother ride. Depends on your perspective and what you're used to, to an extent.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're missing a key point in your OP - the person matters - I read where you're very sensitive to NVH

I'm the opposite, I've been in almost 50 of these SUVs (and own one), and I can feel the booming sensation in all of them - even ones where the owner swears it is perfect

So it really comes down to the person, that's why I tell anyone shopping to go test drive a few first, you'll know right away if you're sensitive to the issue or not

Ding ding ding...I know I've posted this before but I too have been in 15-20 (mostly 15/16s) of these trucks and experienced it in every single one of them albeit some were worse than others. Some to the point where I was sick with headache within the first 15min. My wife on the other hand has only noticed it a few times. I have one kid that complains of feeling sick and head hurting while the other two do not. It's not about being **** and feeling a bump or rattle it's more of a sensation than anything else. A sick sensation.

And to dismiss it as folks just being picky is comical...

-GM is aware of it and has no answer(told by engineer multiple times) and others claim the same.

-There are published articles regarding the issue.

-GM has bought back a record number of these trucks. (Proof is in the Pudding!)

Bottom line is not all react or feel the pressure issue (ear popping) while some are very sensitive to it.

With all that said, we currently have our 15 xl at a point where it's barely noticeable at most speeds but there are times when it drives me nuts. And this is after several tire/wheel changes with multiple road force balancing all out of pocket. The low speed booming is a whole other issue, but I can live with it.

Last edited:

Gdwheel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had two, a 2015 Tahoe and a 2017 Suburban and neither have had problems. I have had a lot of people in them and no one has complained. I even made sure my family knew the potential problems when we were buying the new one and took it for an extended test drive with them in the truck. No problems. Where I live these vehicles are everywhere -- they are hugely popular.

It is good for people to know about the potential problem, whether it is particular to the person, vehicle or both, and purchasers should do their homework when buying one. I am glad that I knew what to look for when buying. If you get one that does not cause problems for you, they are very good vehicles.

mck024

Reaction score
Not trying to start an argument with anyone, but I've seen several comments about "record numbers of buybacks" for these trucks. How do these numbers compare to buybacks of other GM vehicles? Are there statistics available to support this, or is the evidence purely anecdotal?

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start an argument with anyone, but I've seen several comments about "record numbers of buybacks" for these trucks. How do these numbers compare to buybacks of other GM vehicles? Are there statistics available to support this, or is the evidence purely anecdotal?

I don't know how it compares, this is coming from someone I know at a VP level with Cadillac.

Additionally, the regional engineer that I worked with a year ago when dealing with our issue made the statement, "I know they have been buying back a ton of these trucks."

Even though we were the 2nd owner, I considered pushing the lemon law only because of the known track record of the buybacks. Some thought we might have a shot while many said not to waste our time. I ended up talking to a few others that were able to band-aid the problem and went that route for the time being.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24