Bad popping/thumping noise from front end, 2006 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

Owen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On *most* drives it will do it, but I live in a city, and it will never do it driving slow, no matter how much I drive. But once I hit the freeway, 50-60mph within 4 miles - clunk. Then nothing, then maybe an again a few more times, until I stop and go slow, then it’s gone. Same locations for me. I can shake the front drive shaft and it will wiggle at the front transfer case output end, but solid at the diff end. I think it’s the case, or like you said - the front diff - but I am going to change the case first.
Is it random for you? Highway speeds? Super annoying at any rate.
For me, it does not make the noise every time I drive it. I drive on the highway every day (70mph+). Today, I drove 90 miles and did not hear a single noise. On Thursday, I drove 3 hours (200 miles give or take) and did not hear the noise until I stopped, then started my car again about 2 hours in. Then it made the noise for the rest of my hour drive home. My 4wd has been acting up too, which I think is why its related. Sometimes when I start the car it will be in 4LO or 4HI and I have to play with it to get it back into 2wd. I have 240k miles on the Tahoe so I'm not extremely worried about replacing a diff/transfer case but want to be sure before I do anything.

Filterless

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM issued a Service Bulletin for C6 Corvettes that had a similar problem. The cause was the wrong and/or inadequate grease on the CV splines going into the diff. The splines would bind and cause a 'popping' noise. You might try to get a dealer to look up that bulletin and find out exactly what grease they used to fix the problem.

Mine was under warranty, and I never asked them what grease was used, but it's a specific grease from GM for this application.
I have removed, cleaned and greased the front yoke. (Note it doesn’t slip really, as the T/C and front diff are bolted to the frame and don’t move with the suspension) But it goes it and out smoothly when installed.
The rear is lubricated by the Autotrak fluid from the T/C and you can not grease it with anything because it will mix and ruin the fluid. It has all been checked as moving fine also.

Filterless

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For me, it does not make the noise every time I drive it. I drive on the highway every day (70mph+). Today, I drove 90 miles and did not hear a single noise. On Thursday, I drove 3 hours (200 miles give or take) and did not hear the noise until I stopped, then started my car again about 2 hours in. Then it made the noise for the rest of my hour drive home. My 4wd has been acting up too, which I think is why its related. Sometimes when I start the car it will be in 4LO or 4HI and I have to play with it to get it back into 2wd. I have 240k miles on the Tahoe so I'm not extremely worried about replacing a diff/transfer case but want to be sure before I do anything.
Gotcha - yes it’s frustrating. Hopefully any fixes to the T/C will work for you - I’m at the point I’m gong to replace it. Weird hey?!

Filterless

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have a recording/video of the noise??

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check both engine mounts (especially driver's side) for excessive play, and the transmission mount.

Also the front differential mounts. Bushings get worn over time, and a careful inspection might show that.

Filterless

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check both engine mounts (especially driver's side) for excessive play, and the transmission mount.

Also the front differential mounts. Bushings get worn over time, and a careful inspection might show that.
Will do! Thank you for that.

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 Tahoe here - I’m chasing the exact same noise, under the same conditions. It never does it just driving slow around town, but after 2-3 miles of highway speed (55-65) - it warms up…and then clunk - pop…off it goes. I think it must be something in the transfer case. I’ve checked and replaced all the u-joints, shocks, CV axles, etc etc. I’ve been under the truck often, wiggling and checking everything else very carefully. It must be driveline related. Truck is at 160k miles and in fairly good condition, no real rust. Frustrating, but I think a new case is the next step. :/
Ps. I had the same issue with the Service 4WD, it was a simple fix, the encoder motor position ring. Did it 2 years ago and never had a problem since.
Hey fellas… it’s been a while since I’ve been on here. I have a 2002 Tahoe with a similar issue. I have a squeak when driving after I replaced the sway bar bushings… I know I have a bad shock but it makes a different noise. I changed the short axles. Ball joints etc on both sides. Do y’all think I need to grease the bushings with the synthetic silicone?

Filterless

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey fellas… it’s been a while since I’ve been on here. I have a 2002 Tahoe with a similar issue. I have a squeak when driving after I replaced the sway bar bushings… I know I have a bad shock but it makes a different noise. I changed the short axles. Ball joints etc on both sides. Do y’all think I need to grease the bushings with the synthetic silicone?
You can try. I’ve narrowed (hopefully) my pop/clunk down to the transfer case and have ordered a reman. I’ve been over the whole undercarriage and can’t see anything that would duplicate the noise. I might get a GoPro and wire one underneath to at least try and see where it’s coming from. I *will* get to the bottom of it eventually and report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn