Bad popping/thumping noise from front end, 2006 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Owen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2006 tahoe that is making an odd noise from the front end. It sounds like a bad popping or thumping noise. I notice it the most at highway speeds but it does not make the noise every time I drive it. Turning does not seem to affect the frequency of the noise.

I have replaced both CVs, both wheel hub assemblies, and one of the sway bar links. After it starts making the noise on the highway, it will continue to make the noise even at slow speeds but it is definitely not as common.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my "service 4WD" light is on. My 4WD can be finicky as well: sometimes when I start the car it will automatically be in 4LO or 4HI and I have to switch it. This does not bother me I just care about fixing the popping noise.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the Body mount points.. They a common for something like this...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

When it does make the noise, at highway or slower speeds, does changing the speed change the pitch of the noise?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

If the pop occurs when you give the motor some gas, check the 2 mounts for the front differential.

OP
OP
O

Owen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I would say that changing speed does change the pitch of the noise. At highway speed, it is more of a loud thump/whack. At slower speeds, it is more of a drawn-out thwack with a bit of a metallic noise if that makes sense. the noise is not effected by giving it gas, it will still make the noise while coasting.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it sound like the front or underneath the truck? Have you tried driving next to a building or wall at a slower, constant speed when doing this? Roll the window down on the side by the structure and see if the reflected noise can help dial it in. Does it diminish, or go away, with light brake pressure?

Maybe these items?
1. Bad belt in a tire
2. Front diff
3. Chain noise in t-case/ bad u-joint(s) on front driveshaft
4. Splash shield

OP
OP
O

Owen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's definitely either coming from underneath or somewhere on the driver's side front end. I haven't heard the noise in 2 days which is frustrating because when I need to drive it for a longer distance it starts acting up.

My splash shields have been removed.

Could a bad tire belt actually cause that noise? I do have some alignment wear on my tires but I wouldn't say it's extreme.

I'll check the front driveshaft U-joints when I get home

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belts in tires can be finicky. If they sit for long periods they can act up. If they get hot or cold, they can act up. I think I've been chasing a bad belt on my work truck with new tires that comes and goes with temperature and time spent sitting. Nothing bad, but annoying nonetheless.

Unless you got a screaming deal on a set on old school bias ply tires you didnt tell us about......LOL

Filterless

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Tahoe here - I’m chasing the exact same noise, under the same conditions. It never does it just driving slow around town, but after 2-3 miles of highway speed (55-65) - it warms up…and then clunk - pop…off it goes. I think it must be something in the transfer case. I’ve checked and replaced all the u-joints, shocks, CV axles, etc etc. I’ve been under the truck often, wiggling and checking everything else very carefully. It must be driveline related. Truck is at 160k miles and in fairly good condition, no real rust. Frustrating, but I think a new case is the next step. :/
Ps. I had the same issue with the Service 4WD, it was a simple fix, the encoder motor position ring. Did it 2 years ago and never had a problem since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019