2009 Yukon XL Denali - Front & Rear Suspension Refresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 2009 Yukon XL Denali that I’m looking to do some suspension upgrades on. I’m in the process of ordering the following parts for my front and rear suspension. My main question revolves around what front shock / strut assemblies I should go with if I’m looking to do away with Z55 AutoRide in the front? I’m currently considering either the KYB Truck-Plus or KYB Strut-Plus strut and shock assembles because they seem decent and are affordable at $175-$250 / piece vs. Z55 compatible shocks ~$500 / piece. I’m also deleting the air ride in the back and going with regular Bilstein gas shocks.

Front :

- Or -
In addition to:
Rear :

I went back and forth over whether to go with Bilstein 5100 or 4600 shocks in the rear. I’m not planning on installing a lift or towing so I figured 4600s would be the best option.

M&P Active MagnaRide / AirRide Delete resistors will be used on all four corners to ensure I don’t get any suspension dash lights or codes. I also have new sway bar bushings going in all around as well.

I have all the parts listed except the front shock / strut assemblies which I haven’t ordered yet. Anyone else used KYB’s on their GMT-900’s, especially in the front? Looking for any tips and suggestions. Thanks!

IMG_4817.jpg

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that Magneride was available for your model year. As such, you most likely have the Electronic Suspension system on your truck. Your decision of course regarding the removal of the Electronic Suspension system on your truck is your to make. Lots of folks have done it, and some folks, including me, had the Electronic Suspension system removed, regretted it, and re-installed it.

The rear springs need to be changed to stronger springs if you remove the Electronic Suspension system, as the air bladders carried part of the weight load in the rear. So, when you order springs, purchase a spring that is compatible with the non-Electronic Suspension spring specification.

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that Magneride was available for your model year. As such, you most likely have the Electronic Suspension system on your truck. Your decision of course regarding the removal of the Electronic Suspension system on your truck is your to make. Lots of folks have done it, and some folks, including me, had the Electronic Suspension system removed, regretted it, and re-installed it.

The rear springs need to be changed to stronger springs if you remove the Electronic Suspension system, as the air bladders carried part of the weight load in the rear. So, when you order springs, purchase a spring that is compatible with the non-Electronic Suspension spring specification.

You're right, I got my RPO codes mixed up. I have the Z55 AutoRide system. The most affordable OEM Z55 compatible strut assembly I can find is $450 on RockAuto (DORMAN 949650) and I've not heard great things about Dorman suspension parts in general. For that price I can get two 'dumb' struts.

The Moog coils I have listed above are also compatible with non-electronic suspension. Doing away with air-ride in the rear because my compressor is dead and those air shocks ain't cheap!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 2009 Yukon XL Denali that I’m looking to do some suspension upgrades on.
Converting your suspension over to ZW7 is a downgrade, not an upgrade. She's going to ride like a buckboard with 20 or 22 inch wheels with dumb shocks.

If you are set on converting it, at least use the GM OE parts for it for the best ride possible.

1705350182248.png

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Converting your suspension over to ZW7 is a downgrade, not an upgrade. She's going to ride like a buckboard with 20 or 22 inch wheels with dumb shocks.

If you are set on converting it, at least use the GM OE parts for it for the best ride possible.

View attachment 418952

I don't want to compromise my ride quality but I wasn't sure how easy it would be to forgo the electronic suspension / air ride without sacrificing ride quality too much. My rear shocks now aren’t holding air and my compressor is dead, so that would need to be replaced as well.

I might go back to the drawing board if I’m going to preserve my rear air ride and front electronic suspension since those are about $450/corner. That’s why I came here to ask though! Figured someone wiser than I would have some input.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to compromise my ride quality but I wasn't sure how easy it would be to forgo the electronic suspension / air ride without sacrificing ride quality too much. My rear shocks now aren’t holding air and my compressor is dead, so that would need to be replaced as well.

I might go back to the drawing board if I’m going to preserve my rear air ride and front electronic suspension since those are about $450/corner. That’s why I came here to ask though! Figured someone wiser than I would have some input.
If you want to keep the Z55 air ride? Arnott sells rebuilt rear shocks (lifetime warranty), AS-2708, and a compressor, P-3242, all for less than $800, rock auto & amazon.

We purchased our 2007 Yukon Denali w/Z55 Oct of 18 w/130k miles. Today it has 193k miles. The rear air bladders and compressor were shot when we bought it, but It rode like a dream. We have not fixed them and it still rides like a dream. So, no plans to fix them. We don't tow or fill the seats w/people so no need to for the rear air bladders.

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I converted to a Bilstein rear kit on '03 and '04 Escalades and highly recommend it. Much better ride and actually have usable suspension for towing.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KYB is cheap stuff. If you’re going to delete it, at least use Bilstein shocks. Check Rock Auto for the best prices in the OEM shocks but make sure to have the part numbers based on your VIN from a dealer because there are a bunch of different numbers and they all look the same.

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my front Z55 struts with KYB ASR4080's and installed Vigor air shocks and compressor in the rear. Truck rides great! 2008 Yukon SLT. It rides even better after installing 22" wheels.

Last edited:

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
z55 suspension replacements are about 250 each. I just replaced mine last year with acdelco. arnott sells replacement rear z55's but not fronts. everything they sell for the fronts are conversions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan