Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power Stop 1 Click Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Kit Upgrade.

29 March 2015
73K miles

Just finished my 4 corners brake rotors and pads upgrade. Looks really good.

I did a bit of research on the TYF and online then decided to go with the Power Stop 1 Click Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Kit.

This includes a complete set of cross-drilled and slotted rotors and high performance Evolution Sport Carbon Fiber/Ceramic pads.

http://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z16-kit/#y=2006&mk=CHEVROLET&mo=TAHOE 2WD

FRONT : Z23-785REAR : Z23-974A for the 2WD model only. The 4WD model requires a different size rear pad. The drop down menu on Power Stops site will denote as such. I actually ordered via Amazon Prime as it was about $15 cheaper at the time. About $310 for everything which is the price point I wanted to be at.

My buddy offered to give me a hand as he has his own storage unit that he turned into a workshop for his own vehicles with every tool you could need.

Last week we put in a few hours on Sunday afternoon, only to get stumped with stubborn Torx bolts on the front calipers, broke an extension, found out we had the wrong size pads for the rear wheels then decided to regroup.

I ordered a new T55 Torx 1/2" socket driver for more torque from Amazon for $5.00, the correct 2WD size pads, replacement caliper guide pin bolts ($7.50 for a 2 pack from Advance Auto Parts) that have a normal bolt head, not the OEM frustrating Torx heads and we put the Tahoe up on his lift in his shop to have better access to everything from underneath.

You can see the hardware that came in the kit. Everything needed to do the change over. New rotors, new pads, new clips, new pin bushings (I utilized the OEM rubber boots as they were still in good condition) and high temperature lubricant that was included. Everything was labelled and packed well with installation instructions, break in instructions and the brake pads came in separate boxes with all associated hardware.

I unpacked the boxes and decided to paint the rotors as per Tony (NorcalSS) thread noted here to help retard the rust. See my OEM rotors for how bad they looked after 73K.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49870

I used high temp Rustoleum with some matte black that I already had on hand for the base coats x 2 front and back and then top coated with 2 more coats of semi-gloss.

Everything came apart and went back together as it should, double checked and greased as needed. We ditched the Torx bolts for the above mentioned replacement guide pin bolts (even lowered on Tony's 3/5 kit, there is plenty of clearance with the new guide pin bolt heads and the upper control arm), had to bleed off a little brake fluid to retract the caliper pistons to accept the new brake pads. There wasn't a tremendous amount of wear, but the rear rotors did have some rust on the rotor and the pads on the inside of the rotor did not appear to be utilizing the entire rotor for stopping power. The bleed off only turned out to be a minimal amount as even after the break in runs, the master cylinder was still topped off.

I painted the calipers Duplicolor Silver to give them some pop.

After putting everything back together, I headed out for the break in procedure as outlined on the Power Stop box.

5 aggressive decelerations from 40mph to 10mph.
5 moderate decelerations from 35mph to 5mph.
Then I drove around for 5 minutes at low speed with very minimal braking to let the brakes cool off and then returned to my buddy's shop.

**As a further note, all the black spray paint that was on the face of the rotors, was gone after the break in period leaving the rotors clean, but the non-touched areas coated in semi-gloss black.**

The brakes felt better on the way home and they sure look great. There is a better feel on the pedal and at the wheels, but I still think it needs to have the brake fluid and power steering fluid flushed completely as many have noted on the TYF from other brake jobs. I hope to get that taken care of in the next few weeks.

IMG_0717.jpg IMG_0720.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0723.jpg FullSizeRender copy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pics.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender copy 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender copy 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 94
  • FullSizeRender copy 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender copy 3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 89

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll love that brake upgrade!

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brakes look good! Nice write up. I'll probably go this route when the time comes...which isn't too far away.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the idea of high temp paint to stop rust on the rotors! I'll have to do that next time all my wheels are off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n