Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Night and day difference...love that blue! Looking good! Still think chrome wheels will do your truck more justice than black though-the ones on there currently look good too...

Thx OHSIXX. Been debating, just haven't pulled the trigger. TYF says ditch the black, family and friends like the black look. Decisions. Did a poll here, got some good input, just not sure on whether chrome of perhaps polished like some TBSS or even Texas reps? There's been a few good sets come up for sale on the TYF. Just not sure...

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thx OHSIXX. Been debating, just haven't pulled the trigger. TYF says ditch the black, family and friends like the black look. Decisions. Did a poll here, got some good input, just not sure on whether chrome of perhaps polished like some TBSS or even Texas reps? There's been a few good sets come up for sale on the TYF. Just not sure...

I think TBSS Reps look killer on a dropped Hoe'. 22's for sure and I read Tony is gonna them in 4's too. 4's may be too much but the 2's would prolly give the best ride. There is alot to choose from as I am in that same debating spot over some new wheels come spring.

You could always buy Nathan's 375s ;)

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think TBSS Reps look killer on a dropped Hoe'. 22's for sure and I read Tony is gonna them in 4's too. 4's may be too much but the 2's would prolly give the best ride. There is alot to choose from as I am in that same debating spot over some new wheels come spring.

You could always buy Nathan's 375s ;)

24s might be a bit too much for me. 22s for sure. The 375s have been top of my list, as are the TBSS. Neither very common around me. Thx again input. Got no worries for spring down south...year round.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the first changes I made was to swap out LEDs in the interior from superbrightleds.com

-map lights
-dome lights
-door courtesy lights

IMG_7215.jpg IMG_7216.jpg IMG_7218.jpg IMG_7221.jpg

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
October 2014.

Black Bear Tune.

Here is the write up I did in a separate thread, however I wanted to post it directly in my build thread.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65755

Black Bear Tune
In Person with Justin
Orlando, Florida
5 October 2014

2006 Tahoe LS 4.8L
70600 miles
K&N CAI
Flowmaster 50 Series

I drove the Tahoe with the family riding shotgun to Universal Studios Orlando and slipped away early Sunday morning to meet Justin for my in person tune.

I arrived early at 0830 and met him as he jumped out of the truck he had just completed tuning and right into my truck. We plugged in the computer, had a chat to get a game plan for the tune, did some quick diagnostic checks and went for a drive.

The whole tune took about 45 minutes with a couple stops to turn off the motor and then go again. Most of the tune was driven at normal speeds around 30mph on the side streets of Orlando. A few times he asked me step into it to see how the motor sounded and responded to the adjustments he was making on the fly. Mostly for the shift points and to see the feedback on the computer.

The major tune adjustments that were performed:

1. Tow/Haul switched to Sport Mode.

2. Tuned for 93 octane.

3. Tightened up all the shift points.

4. Tightened up the full throttle shift point.

5. Adjusted the efans to run more efficiently.

A few smaller adjustments to note;, he adjusted the top end speed limit from 98MPH to 120MPH and calibrated the speedometer to the correct tire size. Currently running 20s and upgrading to 22s, with only 1/4" difference it wouldn't be noticeable.

One issue that was found during the tune was a vacuum leak. Justin figured it might be an intake manifold gasket which he said is common with the NBS and due to the ethanol in the fuel. No decline in performance and nothing to be concerned about at the moment, but something to keep a lookout for when the CEL illuminates.

After the tune, I loaded up the family and drove 200 miles home. I could feel the shift points, it was easier to stomp down for passing the slowpokes on the turnpike and then around town keeping the truck in gear longer and ready to go definitely makes her feel a bit more responsive. No monumental gains in the lower power band up until about 4600RPMs, but from that point until the high end shift point at 5900RPMs, I am really impressed with how she tends to rocket off feeding off the K&N, while growling past the cars with open windows with the 50 series. For me it is rewarding and fun, playing around in a big SUV.

As far as MPG goes, going forward will tell the tale and of course my foot on the pedal. The following numbers reflect to and from Orlando over the weekend. All fuel used was 93 Octane.

To Orlando
308.7 Miles
(extra miles for driving to and from Universal Studios and the BBP tune)
19.93 gallons
15.48 MPG

Return home
190.7 miles
10.3 gallons
18.51 MPG

Highway speeds set on cruise control between 70-75 MPH and stop and go traffic around town. No extra load other than family. The instant MPG on the display reflected these numbers as well, but the calculations speak directly for themselves.

Pretty impressed with the pre-tune and post-tune numbers for the long trip up the turnpike either way. Especially since around town I can easily drag those numbers down into the 11/12 MPG range with my foot on the pedal.

Justin was very easy to talk to and accommodating. He asked questions to determine what direction or any specifics I wanted to gain from the tune and we continued the conversation on and off topic during the entire tuning process. I can't end without mentioning Julie Barrow. She answered all my emails and numerous questions (with a few inputs from Justin) about the in person tune and specifics, so that I was already informed when the tune happened. I did some research on the forums to see what other guys had gotten done and the positive feedback speaks for itself.

My overall impressions of the tune? Awesome!! and well worth the time and money spent to make it happen. If you are contemplating it, don't. Just do it. If BBP is coming to your local area, and you can make it, get on the list. I don't think you will be disappointed. To have someone professionally analyze live data feeds while you are driving and making corrections and adjustments on the fly to maximize the performance that your motor can produce was great. Justin found that one issue noted above, said the motor sounded good and tightened up some broad parameters to make the truck more enjoyable for me to drive. It is not meant for the general masses who really don't care to get that extra percentage of performance and enjoyment out of their daily driver.

Hope this helps out some of you on the fence or to reinforce and thumbs up a good vendor putting out a good service for our vehicles. Thanks BBP!!

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
February 2015.

I waited 2 weeks for the color matched parts to come back from the painters. And it was worth the wait as they look sweet!! During that wait, I parked my truck and did a few other small projects. Thankfully my company rental was a 2015 Tahoe LTZ. Not too bad. Like a kid at Christmas, it still feels good to jump in my NBS! The wife just rolls her eyes...

1. I replaced the rear dented bumper with an OEM junkyard one I pulled off a 2002 Suburban a few months ago. I had already replaced the front dented bumper from that same junkyard run when I color matched the top bumper cap.

2. I painted the rear bumper pads, spare tire cover plate and lift gate hatch handle with gloss black Krylon and clear coated them for a good shine. They look new again.

3. While pulling the rear bumper off, I noticed that the license plate light housings were about to fall apart and the plastic lenses were no longer clear, so I replaced those with a quick order from eBay. Brand new shipped for $14.

4. The front passenger Esky roof rack cap blew off just before I parked the truck for the painted parts wait. Turns out the metal ring that is actually attached to the inside of the Esky cap and makes a positive seat on the base post, had come off the cap and seated itself on the base post, thus not allowing the cap to sit secure and snug when I clipped it in. Probably had been taken off too many times over the years since it was first installed OEM. I searched eBay, but could not find that particular side. Finally after a more detailed search, I came across newgmparts.com. I called them up and had a brand new, paint-to-match Esky roof rack cap in my hands a few days later. $42.31 shipped. I had some left over OEM paint and clear coat from automotivetouchup.com and a few coats later, it was installed.

5. I took my dash bezel off and hit it with black Plasti Dip to see how it looked to get a more mononchromatic look as the charcoal/black/light grey color combination of the dash was kind of bothering me. So far it looks good.

6. I repainted my door speaker grills gloss black Krylon.

7. I decided to make a change to my wheels just to see how it would look. I went to the Dip Your Car store out in Coral Springs and picked up a couple cans of Anthracite and Glossifier. I did the deck of cards trick to protect the tires, put some newspaper behind the wheels to protect the brakes and after 4 coats of color and 3 coats of Glossifier I changed the look of the wheels. Gave them some color and gloss for less than $50. Still growing on me, but kind of like it for now. May not be everyone's choice, but I wanted something different just to see. If I want to change it, I can just peel it back off.

8. I hit the front grill bow tie in the same Anthracite color to offset the color matched grill. It was black before and I thought it might have gotten lost in the dark blue. Might go with more of a silver rather than the grey up front after looking it more in the pictures. :boti:

9. Color matched parts.
-All 4 door handles.
-Lift gate handle.
-Lift gate applique'.
-Front grill.
-Both side mirrors.
-Lift gate push button ring. (I did this myself on the truck.)

The painters did not disappoint with the final results. I supplied the paint, they took care of everything else.

10. Installed all the parts this weekend, while watching the kids play out front, gave her a good wash and hit her with another coat of wax for good measure. Went for a blast down the road and took some pictures to share. I've got a few other things in the works, but need some more time.

What do you guys think?

IMG_2140.jpg IMG_2153.jpg IMG_1967.jpg IMG_2198.jpg IMG_2195.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons