4.8l yukon sleeper build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trentsmall812

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 gmc yukon 2wd. Now im wanting to make it some what of a sleeper. So far I've been fixing all the suspension but I want to give it some power. Looking online I can find some stuff but it's a bit out of my price range here and there not everything. But I'm curious on what I can find in junkyards are Pull from other cars an trucks that will fit be affordable or cheaper that will help give me more power. Parts I can look for etc etc. All advice or input is helpful to me so please and thank you. I'd love to hear what you folks got to say

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 gmc yukon 2wd. Now im wanting to make it some what of a sleeper ...
Then why did you post in the GMT T1xx subforum?

Depending on where & how you tend to drive, 4.10 or 4.30 axle - if your tires are taller than 32", 4.30.

You'll be very disappointed in a 5.3L, even if it turns out to be an aluminum block.
Even an L33 does not make that much more power than other 5.3L. Plus you might have to disable Engine Half@$$.
You want a 6.0L, so that it matters less if the block is iron or aluminum - obviously aluminum is better.

If it's a Gen3 6.0L, put your 4.8L pope hat heads on the LQ4 / LQ9 to REALLY wake it up.
If it's a Gen4 6.0L, do not put your pope hat heads on an LS2, you do NOT want over 11.x:1 scr.
But on every other 6.0L, put your 4.8L pope hat heads on it.

If you get to do the above before I do, go right ahead, even though it was my idea first.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Moved you here. And welcome to the forum from Colorado!

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I have a 2001 gmc yukon 2wd. Now im wanting to make it some what of a sleeper. So far I've been fixing all the suspension but I want to give it some power. Looking online I can find some stuff but it's a bit out of my price range here and there not everything. But I'm curious on what I can find in junkyards are Pull from other cars an trucks that will fit be affordable or cheaper that will help give me more power. Parts I can look for etc etc. All advice or input is helpful to me so please and thank you. I'd love to hear what you folks got to say
If you got the 4.8 my tuner has a stock 4.8 in his drag car with stock bottom end besides the rings gapped for boost and a custom turbo cam and headers etc he has the speed engineering twin turbo kit and puts down some serious power with the setup he’s ran it for YEARS now and it’s held up great
In my previous build I had a aluminum block 5.3 07+ motor with ported polished milled heads and nothing other then a stage 4 cam and built top end full exhaust and a tune I was in it maybe 1500-2000$ and it was a straight up ripper! That 9” lifted crewcab on 22s and 35s would cut doughnuts as tight as a vette and smoke the tires off her

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always thought a 4.8 would be a cool build to make it into a 5.7, basically bore the cylinders to that size (keep crank) or a stroker (aftermarket crank, of course). Or a combination for some really high cube NA build.

Actually, a high performance LS1/LS6 would have been a cool option if GM had dropped them into a Tahoe, or a RCSB early into the GMT 800 production. Like a Sports RPO option. I know the Silverado SS came later, but they never really had a lighter truck or any high performance full sized SUV within the Chevrolet nameplate in those years. Maybe it would be redundant with the 6.0...idk

Turbo or supercharger is another option.

...all you need is money.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... a high performance LS1/LS6 would have been a cool option if GM had dropped them into a Tahoe, or a RCSB early into the GMT800 production.
Like a Sports RPO option.
Keep in mind that CAFE MpG test standards and emissions testing standards are the main explanations for:
the existence of the 4.8L & the 5.3L
the undergearing of every vehicle with a V8 since 1978
the existence of the 6L80E, 8L90E, and 10L90E
the fact that your transmission upshifts early and is reluctant to downshift

Point being, every single 4.8L & 5.3L could have been a lower compression LS1 with a cam that upshifts by 5400RpM instead of at or after 6000RpM.
... all you need is money ...
Best bang for the buck I can think of is to find a 6.0L, and put 706-862 heads on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar