Changing Steering Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did this and it really is straight forward.

1) rotate the wheel until you can get at the nut and lock the wheel there
2) remove nut and bolt and wiggle the bottom part of the shaft till it slides down
3) unplug the sensor
4) I then lossened the bottom clip and gently pried it out a little then felt around for the other two clips and pulled them back to losen the sensor and just wiggle it free and slide it off
5) put back on the same way, took about 30 minutes

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right away I noticed it. Around 15mph is where it got really loose. In my tahoe years ago it did it at highway speed and that was scary.

Everything is good to go now!

510man

Reaction score
1999 4x4 5.7l
Parts Information

Steering Column Position Sensor

With Tilt Wheel

OEM Part #
Position Sensor

NAPA
Product Line: Balkamp
Part Number: BK 6202250
Price: $48.49 Each

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Something else that would have helped is knowing that the connector was a bit different and had a green tab that needed to be pulled back and not just push down on it. The wiring is tight but it will give you access.

The wiring is the hardest aspect of this project. My plug was wrapped in some foam tape. Removing the tape to see the green clip was the most time consuming part of the project. Second was getting the sensor clip passed the steering column bracing. That took a little manipulating to find a spot where it would clear for removal.

When I pushed the steering linkage toward the firewall, I pushed the grommet out of the firewall and into the engine compartment. This was a mistake that proved helpful in that it gave me a lot more room to remove and install the sensor. Reinstalling the grommet from the engine bay was pretty easy. You might consider doing this on purpose.

End-to-end, it took about 45 minutes and fixed my problem.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Last post on this topic.

First, thanks to all who posted info. It was helpful. I found the GM procedure on another forum and thought, "Is this really as complicated as they appear to have made it?". Thanks to your posts the answer is, "No, it's actually as simple as I thought it should and would be.".

As a fast and easy temporary fix to this problem, you might try unplugging the wire on the back of the power steering pump. I did that for a couple days until I found time to replace the sensor. On my '99, it made the jerkiness stop so it reduced the safety risk but the steering was fully assisted all the time. The steering felt different but it wasn't bad and was far better than the unpredictability caused by a bad sensor. When you replace the sensor, plug the pump wire back in too.

Wouldn't unplugging the speed sensor accomplish the same thing? I suspect it would, but I didn't try it. I can tell you if you need a quick work around, getting to the pump wire to unplug it is much easier than getting to the sensor wire.

Hope it helps somebody.

Motown 454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got my sensor in last week . I ordered it right after I saw this post through GMparts direct I tried 3 time to order ir from them. I kept having problems with thier website not accepting my order. I paid through Pay Pal and the money was sent . I tried the second and third time and a pyment sent again. still no order .I had to wait ubtil the 30 day time ran out on the payment to get the money back in my account because they wouldnt answer pay pal e mails . It finnally went back in my account and I ordered it from Best Chevrolet. Same price and free shipping. That was a $20 savings, and I had it in 2 days. I paid $61 for it. Now I'm ready to install it this week. Thanks for all your help.

Wayne

fishz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I heard that if this thing goes bad it can also give you no power steering???

bmoreghost

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
noob question on extra sloppy steering

Had the front aligned, no difference, but I saw something about a steering sensor ? Seems like it has solved others problems with loose steering, I have a 97 yukon 4x4 SLT, do I have one of those sensors ? Because I will definetly change it out. Thank you in advance.

big boy toy chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
please let me know if this sensor is on the 96 tahoe sport 2d 4x4 5.7 v8.........no one in my city has it in stock ........dealer says its not this truck??????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia