Changing Steering Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HondaknightRR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, the steering speed sensor went out in my 97 Tahoe and i was wondering if anyone could give me some instructions on how to change it out or maybe send me a link that could help me with putting the new one in?
Thanks!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, I need to do this on the burban too. Took me a while to notice it but it is messed up. I know the install is straight forward but any advanced help is always good.

OP
OP
H

HondaknightRR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah it gets a little scary at highway speeds so its time to change it. I got the part on ebay for $30 shipped so not expensive at all, but i dont wanna go tearing into the steering column without some good advice and knock something out of wack

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
P1210241.jpg

Its really pretty easy. First you will need to undo the nut and take the bolt out.

P1210244.jpg
After removing the bolt you will have to slide the steering shaft into the firewall about 2-3 inches to separate the shafts enough to slide the sensor off.

P1210243.jpg

Make sure to release the 3 tabs before trying to remove the sensor. They will break if not removed. Then simply slide to sensor off the end. You will have to follow the wires up to find the harness to unplug. Unplug the old and plug in the new. Now reverse the process and enjoy much tighter steering.

In the pics as you can tell I wasnt switching mine, but just pointing it out. Another this too, make sure to lock the steering wheel before starting. Hope this helps!

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting up the pics and instructions. I think it's a good item to replace. Our trucks are old and reliable steering would be a good thing!

One part that I'm a little bit confused about is; where that nut and bolt is, does the steering shaft come apart there? And it's the bottom part of the steering shaft that has to slide down a few inches?

Ok, so now onto the really stupid questions... Is there a danger of the bottom part of that shaft dropping down through the firewall? Do I have to hold onto it all the time so it won't slip? Is there a danger of accidentally rotating the bottom half 180degrees so that it might go back together backwards? Or is it pretty hard to mess up?
Sorry for the questions.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
No its cool. Its on the steering shaft inside the truck, you cant miss it...Yes that is where it separates, and yes the bottom part slides into the engine compartment through the firewall. No it wont slide down to far (its kind of hard to move it actually) No it wont rotate but do make sure your wheels are straight.

95tahoe

Reaction score
sort of off topic. from what i read if this sensor is bad your steering will be sloppy. my steering on the other hand is really stiff. power steering fluid is up and suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore