Changing Steering Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motown 454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally got my speed sensor in, it all went fine until I had to get my Xlrg hands in an xsml spot to unplug the sensor. Mine was covered with the foam too. The wires were barely long enough to reach but it went in and made all the difference.
Thanks for all the info and help
Wayne

yodanny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I cannot get my steering shaft to move more than about 1/4 inch. Not enough to separate the shaft so I can remove the steering sensor. I tried a screwdriver and hammer to tap it down, but it is not budging. Any suggestions? I also took the bolt out from the engine side to try and move the intermediate shaft, but still not enough play to move things far enough. What are my options?

99'Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Help!!

So i busted the Shifter mechanism on my 99' Tahoe 4x4, LONG story short, made the mistake of buying the whole column from a 97'... everything plugged in fine, but the truck wouldn't start. turned out there is a sensor on the ignition switch for the 99' that the 97' did not have. So i transferred all the electrical parts (Ignition switch, Turn signal) to the column of the 97'. popped it in, connected everything, and it works FINE! BUT i have noticed that my steering wheel wont return back to center position by itself when i turn. i almost crashed today and it freaked me out!!

Now here's the question...

the 97's Steering column did Not have the steering position sensor. so i thought whatever and put it in the column from the 97'. (i did this when i was transferring the electrical components from the busted column to the good one).....

now, i'm wondering, if my steering position sensor was fine in the first place, and it fit perfectly on the column from the 97', then WHY is my steering all jacked up? it sounds as if the steering sensor is bad from what i'm reading here, because my steering is sloppy.... but again, i swapped my old sensor on to the good column..... it couldn't have gone bad from just transferring it Right?? i know this may sound like a pretty bizarre post. but i really need help here!!! i don't wanna have to go buy another column! or worse! visit the dealer!!

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread...

I honestly thought I didnt have a steering speed sensor or anything of that equivalent.

Someone tell me what it does and what other components work with it?

My steering gearbox and the pump work together for this?

Thanks.

used97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting to hear in plug the speed sensor on the pump no wonder why mine was in plugged.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
So i busted the Shifter mechanism on my 99' Tahoe 4x4, LONG story short, made the mistake of buying the whole column from a 97'... everything plugged in fine, but the truck wouldn't start. turned out there is a sensor on the ignition switch for the 99' that the 97' did not have. So i transferred all the electrical parts (Ignition switch, Turn signal) to the column of the 97'. popped it in, connected everything, and it works FINE! BUT i have noticed that my steering wheel wont return back to center position by itself when i turn. i almost crashed today and it freaked me out!!

Now here's the question...

the 97's Steering column did Not have the steering position sensor. so i thought whatever and put it in the column from the 97'. (i did this when i was transferring the electrical components from the busted column to the good one).....

now, i'm wondering, if my steering position sensor was fine in the first place, and it fit perfectly on the column from the 97', then WHY is my steering all jacked up? it sounds as if the steering sensor is bad from what i'm reading here, because my steering is sloppy.... but again, i swapped my old sensor on to the good column..... it couldn't have gone bad from just transferring it Right?? i know this may sound like a pretty bizarre post. but i really need help here!!! i don't wanna have to go buy another column! or worse! visit the dealer!!

if you are not centering the only thing in the column that can do that is binding bearings or rubber spacer. of course everything from the steering gear down to under inflated tires can cause it to.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Interesting thread...

I honestly thought I didnt have a steering speed sensor or anything of that equivalent.

Someone tell me what it does and what other components work with it?

My steering gearbox and the pump work together for this?

Thanks.

The Electronic Variable Orifice (EVO) system increases or decreases the amount of fluid leaving the power steering pump. This provides the driver with a comfortable balance of steering wheel feel and power assist.
At vehicle standstill or at very low speeds, the system allows full hydraulic fluid flow for maximum power assist and reduced steering effort. As the vehicle gains speed, a variable orifice closes at the steering pump which reduces the pump fluid flow. This action provides a stiffer steering wheel response for an improved road feel and a greater directional stability at highway speeds.
A sensor mounted on the steering column detects the steering wheel movements associated with defensive driving maneuvers. A control module uses this sensor input and the vehicle speed in order to adjust the amount of current to the solenoid.
The EVO system consists of the following components:

• The Power Steering (PS) solenoid actuator is located on the power steering pump discharged fitting.
  • The EVO/Passlock module is mounted on the instrument panel carrier, beneath the radio.
  • The steering Handwheel Speed Sensor (HWSS) is located in the lower bearing of the steering column.
  • The vehicle speed sensor is located on the transmission output shaft or on selectable four wheel drive the transfer case output shaft.
  • The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is located in the engine compartment on the left inner wheel well panel (diesel engines only).
  • The Vehicle Control Module (VCM) is located in the engine compartment on the left inner wheel well panel (gasoline engines only).

99'Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Verry helpful! thanks! but im still a little bit lost, what Can it be that my steering wheel is verry easy to turn at ALL speeds.. ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts