best cai for 99 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
Also get the cleaning kit for it also you wanna keep em clean and depending where you live or what driving you do you might have to clean more or less depending in the nature of your driving

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
Be careful with oiled air filters. They're real good at fouling mass airflow sensor elememts. They're also good at eating up the throat of a throttle body over time. The dry reusable high flow filters are better. The air boxes aren't worth much at all. The Volant is the only one that would come close to allowing a lower intake air temp reading than the double wall factory box pulling in air from through the fender. The factory box isn't a restriction really, so there isn't a whole lot of benefit from changing it out for something claiming to be better. That's just marketing.

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
Alot of installation issues generally fall on the grounds on age of the vehicle. When volant designed thier intake for that vehicle they most likely had a prime example of either show room condition truck or literally brand new truck. Things shift a little from normal or aggressive driving. If you ever noticed what the truck does every time you punch it from a stop the one front corner is actually raised a little higher than the other due to the torque twist from the engine. Or just creeping down a trail to your favorite hunting/fishing location the vehicle is twisting. After a few years its only natural for things to shift a little. If i recall reading about the one intake not sure on the brand but the complaint i was reading was it fits in the location its intended but you have to fight it in place. Ive had similar issues with numerous brands and vehicles. Just order the one you like and be patient when installing. Things get missed or just overlooked when you try to rush.
You make a good point. I never even considered that. Looks like I'm finally sold on the volant. Once I get it ordered I'll let everyone know how it goes

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An odd tip i could probably give anyone regardless of your skill level or your friends skill level working on cars. Invite a friend over to hang out while your doing the install. Sometimes when your having trouble a different point of view, or someone whos not aggrivated because they weren't just fighting with it, or just someone to hold something as you line it up can make a huge difference. Even on something as simple as a cai install. I have this buddy whos a master tech and we have worked on numerous projects. Im no where near his skill level but sometimes it just takes a second pair of eyes and a cool head. Grab a few beers and have fun i mean come on how is performance parts not fun.

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
An odd tip i could probably give anyone regardless of your skill level or your friends skill level working on cars. Invite a friend over to hang out while your doing the install. Sometimes when your having trouble a different point of view, or someone whos not aggrivated because they weren't just fighting with it, or just someone to hold something as you line it up can make a huge difference. Even on something as simple as a cai install. I have this buddy whos a master tech and we have worked on numerous projects. Im no where near his skill level but sometimes it just takes a second pair of eyes and a cool head. Grab a few beers and have fun i mean come on how is performance parts not fun.
I know how that is I'm a plumbers apprentice lo

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
there can be install problems on any brand when u are working on something this old. My K&N seemed to fit perfect. but as soon as I ran down the road the tube slipped out of the rubber adapter on the TB. first 2 times I just assumed I hadn't installed it correctly. the 3rd time I realized something was wrong. wound up trimming 1/4 inch of the end of the tube and abracadabra problem solved

Freightlinerman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between a Volant 15546 and a AFE Momentum gt 54-74104. Both have boxes. Volant dry Powercore filter and the AFE is a oil treated filter. Any idea's on which brand is better?

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
You make a good point. I never even considered that. Looks like I'm finally sold on the volant. Once I get it ordered I'll let everyone know how it goes

If you weren't considering intake air temperature, for what reason do you want a "cold air intake"?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the same reasons everyone else who buys one wants one. The extra growl from the engine. I like using them versus a k&n drop in basically for that reason. Lol
As most factory intake are already pulling colder air from the same place a cai typically does. Outside of that versus a drop in style the extra gains are generally pretty small. Maybe the difference of 3 hp (unnoticeable) a little better throttle response and lastly a cai looks better than the factory setup.

Freightlinerman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just do not like the way the engine sounds stock from the factory. It sounds cheap. It's not quiet when at idle. It kind of whines like a foreign car. I think a quality cold air intake would rectify that whine sound. It's hard to find a quality CAI. I am looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn