2011 Avalanche Build (Wrecked)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed cryo-tempered PowerStop (StopTech) slotted rotors and Hawk pads. I am not satisfied at all with the rotors. They "warped" within 1,000 miles and 800 of those were all highway en route to Tampa, FL. I bedded in them and the pads strictly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. They are also wearing quickly. There's a considerably tall lip around the outer edge where the pad doesn't cover.

My next setup will likely be whatever is OEM for the SSV/PPV brakes. Slots are cool and all, but they shave pads (shortens life and causes more dust) and it seems to be hit-or-miss with the entry-level aftermarket rotors. I've always been a fan of Hawk pads and there are plenty of other great pads. NAPA's mid- and upper-level equipment seems to be quality stuff.

04Huck

"I'd rather be lucky than good"
Reaction score
X2 against Powerstop. Put them on my 06 Sierra Z71, warped then immediately too. Bedded then just like they said too. I’m fairly ******* brakes but damn. I’ve got 2k on my setup now and it’s great, no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SSV/PPV ceramic pads wear rotors more quickly but they stop better. I am well pleased with my factory brakes. Replaced the rears with OE metallic pads and rotors and the parking brake shoes. It's almost time to do the fronts axle. With all this rain, my left hub has been squeaking as the wheel turns, thinking about changing that out too for another Timkin.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but what do you mean when you say "bedded"?

I have been considering the ACDelco "Police" rotors. Seems like anything ACDelco would be ideal, and surely the Police rotors are better than factory.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

Bedding in your brakes is a very important step that a lot of people are clueless about.

The recommended process differs slightly by manufacturers but the basic jist of it is to get the vehicle up to 60-70 mph and slow down rapidly (but DO NOT come to a complete stop) and then repeat this process several times... then drive around until your brakes cool down before stopping completely.

If you come to a complete stop while your rotors are hot then you will transfer too much pad material onto one spot of the rotor which will make your rotors feel warped, grabbing that spot at every rotation.

For the record I bought a full set, front and rear, of cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads from EBay.... they came out of Canada.

I installed them last year and followed there bedding procedure and I couldn't be more happy with them... no warping not eating up pads... of course I don't wait till the last minute to stop either... a start slowing down way ahead of time... driving a semi will teach you that... lol

$157 shipped for all 4 corners... very well pleased.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bedding in your brakes is a very important step that a lot of people are clueless about.

The recommended process differs slightly by manufacturers but the basic jist of it is to get the vehicle up to 60-70 mph and slow down rapidly (but DO NOT come to a complete stop) and then repeat this process several times... then drive around until your brakes cool down before stopping completely.

If you come to a complete stop while your rotors are hot then you will transfer too much pad material onto one spot of the rotor which will make your rotors feel warped, grabbing that spot at every rotation.

For the record I bought a full set, front and rear, of cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads from EBay.... they came out of Canada.

I installed them last year and followed there bedding procedure and I couldn't be more happy with them... no warping not eating up pads... of course I don't wait till the last minute to stop either... a start slowing down way ahead of time... driving a semi will teach you that... lol

That makes perfect sense about not stopping while bedding them. I will be sure to do that when I get a new setup. Thanks for the info.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Then again ken, not many have had to parallel park a semi for their driving test. Still amazes me how people brake check ... do you (not you personally)know how long it takes to stop a semi? They dont even have a clue.....;)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bedded our rear brakes by getting up to 30 and rapidly coming to a stop and then rolled out and did it again. We did it 20 times plus a couple do overs, my new driver was behind the wheel learnin'! All done in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Then again ken, not many have had to parallel park a semi for their driving test. Still amazes me how people brake check ... do you (not you personally)know how long it takes to stop a semi? They dont even have a clue.....;)

I am a firm believer that in order to get a regular class E drivers license you should be required to ride in a semi for at least 2 hours just to see what it's like and what is required to start, stop, and maneuver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpellegrino

Latest posts