2011 Avalanche Build (Wrecked)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I decided to start a little thread on this Avalanche that I am getting. A little background...

My best friend and my mom work at a salvage yard, and on very rare occasions, they get in wrecked vehicles that are actually worth repairing and having inspected. As a matter of fact, they both drive vehicle that came from their job.

They told me a couple weeks ago that they got in a 2011 Avalanche that looked to be worth repairing. I went and checked it out, and did not see any major damage. Just some bolt on parts. It was hit in the front left, but did not even damage the frame horn.

I went and let it run for a while and that is when I noticed the oil pressure dropping to zero. Some of you have problem seen what I had to do to get it fixed on some other threads. Basically, I changed the oil pressure sensor, that did not work. Hooked up a computer to it to make sure that what the gauge was reading is what the sensor was putting out. It was accurate. Then I decided to change the o-ring on the pick up tube. That solved it! Aside from that, the AC blows cold, it did not get overheated and it seems to run very smooth.

Now that I have solved the oil pressure issue, I am beginning to get some parts together to slowly piece this thing back together! I wanted to make sure that it was nothing major before dropping any large amounts of money in to it.

Here are some pictures of what it looked like on day one. I wish I would have taken more pictures while making repairs that I have already done, but I intend on taking more pictures on future repairs/replacements.

Stay tuned! output (1).jpg output (2).jpg output (3).jpg output.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hey guys, I decided to start a little thread on this Avalanche that I am getting. A little background...

My best friend and my mom work at a salvage yard, and on very rare occasions, they get in wrecked vehicles that are actually worth repairing and having inspected. As a matter of fact, they both drive vehicle that came from their job.

They told me a couple weeks ago that they got in a 2011 Avalanche that looked to be worth repairing. I went and checked it out, and did not see any major damage. Just some bolt on parts. It was hit in the front left, but did not even damage the frame horn.

I went and let it run for a while and that is when I noticed the oil pressure dropping to zero. Some of you have problem seen what I had to do to get it fixed on some other threads. Basically, I changed the oil pressure sensor, that did not work. Hooked up a computer to it to make sure that what the gauge was reading is what the sensor was putting out. It was accurate. Then I decided to change the o-ring on the pick up tube. That solved it! Aside from that, the AC blows cold, it did not get overheated and it seems to run very smooth.

Now that I have solved the oil pressure issue, I am beginning to get some parts together to slowly piece this thing back together! I wanted to make sure that it was nothing major before dropping any large amounts of money in to it.

Here are some pictures of what it looked like on day one. I wish I would have taken more pictures while making repairs that I have already done, but I intend on taking more pictures on future repairs/replacements.

Stay tuned! View attachment 197241 View attachment 197242 View attachment 197243 View attachment 197244
Appears to be a solid vehicle. Love the black on black combos.

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a nice find! How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking? Even if the engine is toast you can get a complete 5.3 for $1000 and drop it in fairly easily...what are your plans for it? Just repair?

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a nice find! How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking? Even if the engine is toast you can get a complete 5.3 for $1000 and drop it in fairly easily...what are your plans for it? Just repair?
Buying for $5300. I do not anticipate spending more than about $1000 in parts and inspection. I am going to get used parts off of another black GM so I don't have to have it painted.

I am just going to repair it, probably get a black bear tune, and just keep it for myself. Probably do little stuff like intake and exhaust. Nothing too crazy though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu