2011 Avalanche Build (Wrecked)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess fault in the steering wheel control circuit. Maybe faulty buttons intermittently shorting and acting as if you're holding a button(s) or maybe a wire harness was damaged (airbag deploy?).
So it did it again today. Seems like it is related to the temperature of the radio. Once the cabin cools down, it stops doing it. I do not think that it is the steering wheel controls, because it is bringin up screen on the radio that aren't accessible by the steering wheel controls. (Bass, Mid, Treble, XM Radio, Menu Settings)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the radio apart and get at it with an ohmmeter or pick up another off ebay and sell your old one for parts on ebay to offset the cost, you might break even!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it did it again today. Seems like it is related to the temperature of the radio. Once the cabin cools down, it stops doing it. I do not think that it is the steering wheel controls, because it is bringin up screen on the radio that aren't accessible by the steering wheel controls. (Bass, Mid, Treble, XM Radio, Menu Settings)

Ah. It scrolled so fast in the video that I couldn't tell. It looked like it was just cycling through the modes really quickly.

Being consistent with temperature, it could be a cracked solder joint. With everything being controlled by a Class 3 data stream instead of analog circuits, an intermittent connection can throw the processors for a loop. This is a good reason to look into upgrading to an OEM touchscreen unit or, better yet, an aftermarket HU. You could at least pull it out to make sure all the plugs are fully seated and that the wires going into the plugs are fully inserted.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah. It scrolled so fast in the video that I couldn't tell. It looked like it was just cycling through the modes really quickly.

Being consistent with temperature, it could be a cracked solder joint. With everything being controlled by a Class 3 data stream instead of analog circuits, an intermittent connection can throw the processors for a loop. This is a good reason to look into upgrading to an OEM touchscreen unit or, better yet, an aftermarket HU. You could at least pull it out to make sure all the plugs are fully seated and that the wires going into the plugs are fully inserted.
So you would recommend and aftermarket HU over the factory touch screen?

Do you have one? How fluent is the interface with the steering wheel controls? Does it make the Bose system sound better since you have more control over tuning? Is there really any downside to getting an aftermarket HU?

What does the Voice Command button do with an aftermarket HU?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you would recommend and aftermarket HU over the factory touch screen?

Do you have one? How fluent is the interface with the steering wheel controls? Does it make the Bose system sound better since you have more control over tuning? Is there really any downside to getting an aftermarket HU?

What does the Voice Command button do with an aftermarket HU?

I switched mine to the OEM touchscreen because I got it for so cheap. Between the OEM HU, having it unlocked, nav antenna, and speed sensor harness, I was under the cost of what the adapter harness and module(s) required for an aftermarket HU alone would've been. Plus the rear seat controls are still functional so I have no non-working OEM equipment.

The steering wheel controls work just like pressing a button on the HU itself. They have symbols and are pretty intuitive. About the only ones I use are the volume and "up" and "down" buttons. I can't say I noticed any difference in sound quality with the swap. I'd guess they have the same output circuits and the only difference is how you adjust the settings (knobs/buttons versus touchscreen). Looking back, I wish I would've saved up more cash and went aftermarket. The rear seat controls would've been disabled, but nobody uses them anyway. Every other OEM function can be retained with the proper adapter module(s). You'll have a better screen, better sound shaping capabilities, easier expansion potential, MUCH better nav, Bluetooth calling AND streaming capabilities, and so much more.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I switched mine to the OEM touchscreen because I got it for so cheap. Between the OEM HU, having it unlocked, nav antenna, and speed sensor harness, I was under the cost of what the adapter harness and module(s) required for an aftermarket HU alone would've been. Plus the rear seat controls are still functional so I have no non-working OEM equipment.

The steering wheel controls work just like pressing a button on the HU itself. They have symbols and are pretty intuitive. About the only ones I use are the volume and "up" and "down" buttons. I can't say I noticed any difference in sound quality with the swap. I'd guess they have the same output circuits and the only difference is how you adjust the settings (knobs/buttons versus touchscreen). Looking back, I wish I would've saved up more cash and went aftermarket. The rear seat controls would've been disabled, but nobody uses them anyway. Every other OEM function can be retained with the proper adapter module(s). You'll have a better screen, better sound shaping capabilities, easier expansion potential, MUCH better nav, Bluetooth calling AND streaming capabilities, and so much more.

Rear seat controls still function with the Rosen GM1210... I bet you probably knew I was gonna say that...

Almost like knowing that a post from James @swathdiver is goings to contain the word Tech2.... lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear seat controls still function with the Rosen GM1210... I bet you probably knew I was gonna say that...

Almost like knowing that a post from James @swathdiver is goings to contain the word Tech2.... lol

I did think of the Rosen when typing that but the thought left my mind as I spelled out other thoughts. Just like how I failed to answer David's last question about the Voice Command button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts