2002 Tahoe LT 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to find out if the rear shocks were originally Autoride units?
I have a hunch this Tahoe originally had that as an option and the PO "cheaped out" when it was time to change shocks ...
Your SPID sticker in the glovebox answers this question.

OP
OP

02TahoeTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well it looks like my tire decision timeline has abruptly changed. Had a blow out on the highway today (drivers side rear). Funny thing is the back tires didn’t appear all that bad. It’s the fronts that are worn on the outside. Sooooo, I’ll be getting new tires and an alignment this next week. I have a day to decide whether to stick with the the 265/70R16 or try the 75 series.

Attachments

• IMG_3857.jpeg
    IMG_3857.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 4

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a day to decide whether to stick with the the 265/70R16, or try 265/75R16.
Until you adjust the tire constants in your pcm, your speedo will read 3.4% too SLOW.

When speedo says 85MpH, actual = 88MpH
When speedo says 55MpH, actual = 57MpH
When speedo says 25MpH, actual = 26MpH

OP
OP

02TahoeTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Until you adjust the tire constants in your pcm, your speedo will read 3.4% too SLOW.

When speedo says 85MpH, actual = 88MpH
When speedo says 55MpH, actual = 57MpH
When speedo says 25MpH, actual = 26MpH

Thanks Marky! Yeah, I’ve dealt with that before… back in the old days before PCMs and computers. Reprogramming the PCM is outside my wheelhouse. I guess I can either find someone who can do it or do the math. :cool:

OP
OP

02TahoeTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I messed that up. Not sure how I made it look like it was your response. Further proof that I’m not a digital warrior.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally recommend pcmperformance.com.
That said, you don't need a tuner who's been tuning since '05 to improve your powertrain's durability and performance.
Plenty of other tuners with solid reputations.
If you are close enough to one, meet them halfway, have them tune your pcm in person in realtime. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

OP
OP

02TahoeTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I personally recommend pcmperformance.com.
That said, you don't need a tuner who's been tuning since '05 to improve your powertrain's durability and performance.
Plenty of other tuners with solid reputations.
If you are close enough to one, meet them halfway, have them tune your pcm in person in realtime. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.
Thanks for the advice Marky! I’d be surprised if I can’t find resources locally. I’m in Austin TX, which is a very tech savvy city. It’s just I’m an old dog.

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I recently finished a complete steering and suspension (except springs and torsion bars) restoration on my 2003 Tahoe which has 160 K miles and the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride option. My steering was getting really loose and one of my rear shocks (Nivomats) was leaking. I replaced both with Nivomats (SACHS 030239 @ $280 each). The job totaled $2K for quality parts (mostly Moog) and 5 days in my garage. You can also view my exterior (paint & lighting) restoration in another post. Let me know if I can help with any information.

OP
OP

02TahoeTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I recently finished a complete steering and suspension (except springs and torsion bars) restoration on my 2003 Tahoe which has 160 K miles and the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride option. My steering was getting really loose and one of my rear shocks (Nivomats) was leaking. I replaced both with Nivomats (SACHS 030239 @ $280 each). The job totaled $2K for quality parts (mostly Moog) and 5 days in my garage. You can also view my exterior (paint & lighting) restoration in another post. Let me know if I can help with any information.
Thanks for your comment TahoeRestore! I checked out your posts. Nice job on documenting your restoration. Your pics remind me of when I’ve gone through the same process with muscle cars. I don’t foresee a restoration in my vehicles near future. I travel on unpaved roads way too often and I’d be paranoid of stone chips and scratches.

Mine has just about the same mileage as yours. The steering is not too sloppy, but could be tighter. Today I had the 265/75r16 tires installed and they do not rub at full lock. I will still likely be ordering that leveling torsion key to get the nose up somewhat… and I’ll then need to get the front end aligned. If there is any steering slop I’ll probably try tightening those tilt set screws that lyncht1967 documented in his post you commented on. I did replace the intermediate shaft as the clunking was driving me crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz