Z71 Tahoe Off Road Capability Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdTom

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I’m planning on replacing my 2016 LT Tahoe with a 2024 upcoming. Not sure if I’m going with a RST or Z71 at this point. My question is the Off Road Capability option on the Z71. From everything I read that model is enhanced having it whether on pavement or off. Attempting to build one on the Chevrolet website that options cost is $2995, when you click that option the price doubles with extra equipment I don’t want. So, two questions: Do you recommend that option on that vehicle and can I get it for the $2995 as they list it??

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wish I could answer about the Z71 but mine is 19 years older. I am a little confused about the question. Are you saying that if you click on the Z71 option it costs you more than if you separately add on some of the Z71 options for $2995?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I’m planning on replacing my 2016 LT Tahoe with a 2024 upcoming. Not sure if I’m going with a RST or Z71 at this point. My question is the Off Road Capability option on the Z71. From everything I read that model is enhanced having it whether on pavement or off. Attempting to build one on the Chevrolet website that options cost is $2995, when you click that option the price doubles with extra equipment I don’t want. So, two questions: Do you recommend that option on that vehicle and can I get it for the $2995 as they list it??
some of the options are bundled together and usually there is no way around it

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely not ($2995 options)... I recommend going to a dealership that has a Z71 Tahoe on hand so you can see the options for yourself. Nobody likes the pressure of a salesman, but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and do what it takes to get the answers you seek. Start off with asking a lot of questions, and in a worse case scenario if you get cornered to buy it, tell them you have to "talk it over with the wife", and just leave.

stevoburito

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the option on my 2022 Z71. The real option you are paying for is the rear electronic diff. Supposedly it helps alot, almost like a legit full locker. I have never actually felt it being used when driving in TX, but then again I have never driven in the snow or ice b/c my 2022 Tahoe is a lemon and has been in the shop for over 150 days and was a pavement princess.

If you need real off-road capability get a Toyota or something else b/c the Z71 with the enhanced off road package does not come with underbody protection for the gas tank and has openings for the transmission and part of the engine, lots of exposure. Also the air suspension is cool but mine went out (part of my lemon claim actually) and when it does, depending on the exact issue, the vehicle will either go into a limp mode where you can't go faster than 56 mph or won't drive at all.

Bad Tahoe off road:
It also has no front locker
no underbody cameras
no center diff lock
not a true rear locker with the electronic or stock one
air suspension at highest setting is a harsh ride and does not allow lots of articulation, have to be in 4 LO to put in highest setting
not great underbody protection
4 corner independent suspension lacks articulation of solid rear axle, and has more components exposed at lower heights
chassis is covered in a wax coating that comes off very easy, not paint. GM is cheap with chassis protection and should be avoided for true off roading or salty road areas

The good part of the Tahoe off road capability are:
4 high and 4 low system
good engine power and torque
air suspension will help in high snow/water
crawl control is easy and works great

There are some YouTube videos from the "fast lane truck" and others that show how the rear diff works, that's really the true capability you would be paying for but I can't see how it would really help for mostly normal driving, and the base rear diff locks at a certain point too. If you spend 99% on pavement get 4WD RST and you'll be just fine. Z71 is nice but I don't think the extra $ is worth it unless you are off-road regularly. Good off-road tires will help more than the electric diff and air suspension with just about anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia