Z71 Rear Spring Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big is the boat? If the tongue weight is close to 500 lbs I would consider a weight distribution hitch instead of air bags.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Boat is only 18.5' fish/ski. I have no idea of actual tongue weight. I've actually been towing it for years with the stock suspension.

hoss08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, now you got me thinking bags. Which parts are folks running, where can I check these out? I just ordered the Z71 springs today and decided to swap my shocks to Rancho 9000XL.

I ran the AirLift kit on my truck, I just had the old school version that had remote valve stems that I ran up right by the receiver. Just aired them up with the compressor in my garage. They make a setup now that comes with an onboard compressor and an in cab controller, pretty pricey option though.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Got my z71 springs installed yesterday (MOOG Part # 81069). With the 1 1/2" spacers it jacked the rear way up! I'm unsure about it right now. My speed shop thinks it looks about 2" too high in the rear. I think it looks good and am hoping the springs settle in a little bit after driving.

I measured ~ 40" from ground to the edge of the fender well today. Anyone else with a similar setup have pics or a measurement? Thanks!

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
My old yukon with 2" and z71 springs measured 40-40.5" to the ground. It does look great at that height! Get some keys for the front and turn them up to level it matching rear.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Yea I'm already keyed and and it was level prior to the z71 coils with just the 1.5" spacer. Now with the z71 coils it sits a little higher in the rear. I'll need to get some new pics up. Also installed some Method Roost wheels which look really nice!

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Well since you have keys, jack up the front end and crank some more to level. Then get another alignment and if you are close to frame stops order some UCAs.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Well since you have keys, jack up the front end and crank some more to level. Then get another alignment and if you are close to frame stops order some UCAs.

Didn't realize the keys could still be cranked, not sure why the shop didn't mention this. Am I killing the ride by cranking?

As far as UCA's, would that only help for 2WD or would these help with 4WD too?

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

BTW I'm also looking for a front fender measurement. Mine are at 38.5" right now.

SRTH8R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn't crank all the way so you have some travel left in the front. Also to keep ball joint and axle angles within reason, and to still get a decent alignment. I ended up using the same moog springs you did with a 1 inch spacer. Ended up being about the same height as factory springs with a 2 inch spacer. Was hoping to stiffen up the back a little but not much feels different. I'm 40-40.5 in the rear and 38.5 in the front. Cognito is the only one I know who makes uca. But they are a little pricey in my book. Think I'm going to bump the front another .5 and hope it still aligns within spec. Also still rubbing, should have gone with 32's. These are pre moog spring pics. Factory with shock extenders. Have 5100's now.

95a8b2aef51d914acba3b38f7d7daa88.jpg

6cf7334dada2f581a55acfaed764eb36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne