Z71 Rear Spring Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
I just leveled my truck (keys/spacers). I tow a boat often and I noticed it drops down quite a bit in the rear when I hook up. I saw discussion of swapping to Z71 springs in the rear for extra load capacity. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Will they fit with the spacers? Will it ride higher in the rear? And how much stiffer will the ride be?

Thanks!

hoss08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will fit with spacers, most people usually swap them in with spacers. They will add a little lift on their own as well. A good set of shocks like some 5100s would also help, Its a little old school but I had a set of air shocks on the back of my ZR2 s10, after the trailer is on the truck you just air up the shocks with your compressor to level the ride height out. Not sure what all would be involved in the swap if you wanted to put factory air ride in your truck, a lot of these trucks have self leveling suspension from the factory. Im sure it would bolt right up, the tuning would be a different story though, you'd have to figure out how to get your factory computer to communicate with the system. As long as this isn't a huge boat, Z71 coils and 5100s should straighten you out perfectly.

IgotaevoX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a z71 nbs and I squat bad when towing so I installed the air lift air bags n air them up works great
Now mind you my trailer is 2791lbs empty it's a 20ft car hauler so it's a heavy sob
N once my 3200-3300lb Evo is on it it gets heavier but the bags seem to work great

Respect isn't given it's earned

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a z71 nbs and I squat bad when towing so I installed the air lift air bags n air them up works great
Now mind you my trailer is 2791lbs empty it's a 20ft car hauler so it's a heavy sob
N once my 3200-3300lb Evo is on it it gets heavier but the bags seem to work great

Respect isn't given it's earned

Yeah, if you like the current ride and height, I would consider just getting bags to help out when towing.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Hmmmm, now you got me thinking bags. Which parts are folks running, where can I check these out? I just ordered the Z71 springs today and decided to swap my shocks to Rancho 9000XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9