Z55 Rear Struts shot/ Towing Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allerickb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2002 Denali with the Z55 package. Truck come from up north and has a moderate amount of rust to the under body. The rear shocks are shot and I the malfunction indicator on the dash is on. The truck drives and rides perfectly fine, so at this point i'm considering bypassing the entire system with traditional struts. My question though is if is safe to tow a 6000# boat/trailer with the suspension in its current state? Other than it not leveling off?

And with the bypass on the rear is it necessary to replace the springs as well?

Thanks in advance.

Firewolf

Reaction score
I just did this last night. I ordered moog coil springs for a Z71 Tahoe, new spring isolators, and installed Billstein Shocks. Not terribly hard, just time consuming. It was a significant improvement, and from what I could find, the springs on a standard suspension are different from those on a Z55 suspension. Not sure if it’s required, but it definitely helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jer-Z-Devil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The z55 is the air shocks with pump?
Mine are blown and the pump isnt working.
I would like to put on the blistein shocks.

What are the shocks that are needed for replacement. Part numbers?

Its a 2005 yukon denali xl.
Thanks

OP
OP
A

allerickb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The z55 is the air shocks with pump?
Mine are blown and the pump isnt working.
I would like to put on the blistein shocks.

What are the shocks that are needed for replacement. Part numbers?

Its a 2005 yukon denali xl.
Thanks

Yes, the Z55 air ride suspension. Mine were blown and the pump was dead as well. I ended up going with the Monroe 58639 Load Adjusting Coil Over Shocks and I'm very pleased. My ride height is restored and don't sag under load when pulling a 6200# boat and trailer. I DID NOT replace the factory Z55 springs, which are figured were softer due to air ride providing the leveling, but the Monroes compensate for the softer springs.

Now on to bypassing the sensors so the dash warning goes off!

Allerick B.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the Z55 air leveling ability. See my signature. Arnott air shocks and a new Dorman air pump. I love it for towing and hauling the family, it never squats in the rear and rides great, not harsh at all!!! No problems after 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3