Yukon goin crazy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddyrim

Reaction score
So the problems that I had previously described have gotten worse, and I believe they are related. When I started the truck, all hell broke loose. The door locks keep trying to lock, service just about everything shows up in the display. The speedometer was very intermittent as were all other gauges, cutting in and out, with very audible ticking noises from somewhere in the footwell area, that sounds like relays clicking on and off. Furthermore the ABS light and every other light were on and the truck would only drive in limp mode, which I had to do to get home, some 30 kms. At least the heater worked in the -30 celcius weather.

I have read that the negative battery cable can be a culprit or the body control module. I played with the negative battery cable but it did not seem to affect anything. I'm reluctant to order and change the cable if the body control module is the culprit.

I have found similar posts, but the resolution seems to be unclear. One such post is this one:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2009-yukon-slt-electrical-problem.60373/

My initial post can be found here:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre...hutting-down-when-turning-ignition-off.90810/

This thread was linked in another one related to the issue, but the failure mode in this instance was a completely dead truck, which mine is not. It starts up without issue, and can drive just fine, in limp mode with everything going crazy. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/intermitent-electrical-problems.63936/

Appreciate any feedback or pointers on this one.

OP
OP
daddyrim

daddyrim

Reaction score
Picture of my dash, note that this was travelling home and things cutting in and out, not sitting at idle as the dash would suggest.

IMG_20170314_160449.jpg

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar issues in my 08 Sierra Denali. I had two different techs at the dealership tell me negative battery cable. The both also asked if the door locks were cycling by themselves. I replaced both and my issues have not returned. I got OE my cables off eBay for less than $150 shipped for both. That's where I would start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. Weird battery voltage. Years ago I saw a Volvo towed into the dealer that I worked for, car on the tow truck and the speedometer was showing 100 miles an hour. The tech changed the battery and the problem went away. I was told it's a low voltage issue. Check your battery and cables just my two cents worth!!!!

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken there is a service bulletin describing these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
daddyrim

daddyrim

Reaction score
Just ordered in a negative battery cable, hope to be able to install it tomorrow. I will post my results.

Ciro

Reaction score
It seems like an electrical grounding issue but I would check the oil level just in case, I got nervous seeing no pressure in the gauge.

OP
OP
daddyrim

daddyrim

Reaction score
Changed the cable, quite the pain accessing the front ground on the body mount. But now the truck won't even turn over. And the problem still exists. Cleaned all the grounding locations before reassembling, but now im in an even worse predicament.

Even tried boosting. Nope.

To top if off, I made an apt at our local dealer just in case, but they can't take the truck until the 30th of March. Unreal.

Ciro

Reaction score
Try to Jump start the truck, If your issue is the ground cable then you may probably had bad electrical connection and your alternator would not be fully charging your battery. Use another car as a donor not a jump starter, I have had issues with jump starters before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia