2009 Yukon SLT Electrical Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwhitlock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2009 GMC Yukon SLT that has been having the same problems as numerous other people who have posted here. Electrical gauges go dead while driving, air goes off/on, door locks don't work, I get error messages "service air bag" and "service 4x4" and "service tire monitor system" and "park assist is off". If it is wet or cold out side (I live in North Florida so cold is 35-45) it won't start until I disconnect the positive battery cable for a a couple minutes.

I've had this at the mechanics for over 2 weeks and they cannot figure out what is wrong, only that there is a communication issue. All my grounds have been cleaned as well.

This has been a very disappointing experience with GMC as I love the truck but wouldn't recommend buying one until this issue is fixed.

I have searched all over the internet and still haven't heard of anyone actually solving this problems.

Any advice from someone who was successful in fixing this or from a GMC representative would be greatly appreciated.

:emotions122:

OP
OP
D

dwhitlock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow, this has gotten a lot worse.

After months of no solutions to my above mentioned electrical problems I think things have gotten much worse today. On my way to work the truck went through its normal array of error message, "check ABS", "Check tire Monitor" etc etc but this time the errors flashed on the screen without setting off the warning lights. About 5 minutes into it my ABS Brake Started to vibrate my brake pedal as if I had the brakes locked up on an icy road. This went on for about 10 minutes before it finally stopped.

Needless to say this seems like a much more dangerous issue than what I've experienced in the past. I think it's one thing to have my gauges go dead and warnings flash across my dash screen but it's a whole other thing to have this electrical problem potentially affect my brakes. Seems like a real safety issue to me.

The car is at the dealer today and we'll see what they come up with but I would still appreciate some in put from the community.

Thanks

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello dwhitlock,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I understand that you are looking for advice. I might not be able to provide you any technical advice but I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

OP
OP
D

dwhitlock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need 10 posts to reply here is #5

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I understand that you are looking for advice. I might not be able to provide you any technical advice but I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

This is ridiculous....

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

getting closer.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

nothing import to add here, just getting #8 out of the way

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

and #9 :mf_pcwhack:

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

yeah, I'm a real person :drunk:

sameer37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AM still facing the same issue with my SLE GMC yukon 2009 (same problems with #1)
the dashboard gauges will shut down rapidly and the lcd monitor as well, also the engine sound will appear on the car speakers while accelerating .
so from time to time am cleaning the battery cable and the problem will disappear for few days then it will come back again.
i think the problem in the battery cable connectors (bad material) and i tried to replace just the connectors but in the GMC yukon the connector and the cable are coming in one piece.
does anybody have a solution for this problem please?
already replaced the battery then the battery negative cable but the problem still exist.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Hello,

Can we change the Battery cable heads only (the socket) for the GMC Yukon 2009?
because the connectors came as biuld in with the cable.

cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
So you checked the grounds behind the cylinder heads there's one on each side it a black wire with a whitetracer the one on the right side bolts in vertically into the rear of the cylinder head and the left side bolts in horizontal into the rear of the cylinder head if those are okay most likely the body control module

osidesurfer365

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is actually at the shop right now for the same issues. I posted a question on this over the weekend and everyone responded with the same answer, replace the negative battery cable. I called my guy over the weekend and that the first thing we are doing tomorrow. Let me know of you have any other issues besides the cable. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sameer37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i will check the Groundings as per #06 advice and i will let you know.
sometimes there is no issue and sometimes it happen.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Dear rockenthebowtie ,what is the body control module?

thanks

Reaction score
The body control module is named as per its operations and functions just like the Engine Control Module it controls engine actuators as per sensor input... the body control module controls door locks as per passenger input push door lock switch to lock that signal goes to the BCM and thru a ground control circuit BCM locks the doors.. same with windows.. interior lights etc.. etc..but the one special thing about the BCM is that its the power mode module. What that means is before the power used to be supplied directly thru the ignition switch to all system voltage power supplied dependent electrical components. Now days the ignition switch no longer has that job its been passed on to the BCM thru a 5volt refrence signal the ignition switch lets the BCM know its time to wake up and start supplying voltage to those dependant components when the ignition switch is rotated to the crank run position... so therfore if the BCM is internationally shorting out it will not be capable of doing its job meaning those dependant electrical components wont get the needed voltage to power up causing your vehicle to act the way its acting.. hope that wasnt to confusing lol

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

Oops the 2 grounds I was referring to as being at the rear are in the front of the cylinder head one being bolted to the negative battery cable you removed the left one will be in the somewhat same location as the right side sorry for the confusion was thinking 06 and older and forgot they were moved to the front on 07 and newer dur to the problems they were creating being at the rear of the cylinder heads..

osidesurfer365

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the negative battery terminal replaced today and she starts up perfectly!!!! Even idols better now as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881

Latest posts