Yukon Denali XL (2011) - Radiator Replacement - Oil Cooler Line Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoescostalot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All -

Replaced the cracked radiator with a OSC 2370 radiator. Everything went well until I tried to plug in the last 2 lines for the oil cooler.

They would not push in far enough for the retaining clips to latch. If I give the lines a light pull they will come out.

I heard on one youtube video that GMC had 2 different versions of the oil cooler lines (one with a shorter end than the other).

Here is the video (go to the 10:13 mark):

Anyone run into this issue? Is there a different radiator i should have bought?

Separate questions - should I do a flush on the new radiator?

Thanks in advanced

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have NEVER heard of that, where he got that information is anyone's guess
as far as I know they have all been the same from 00-14 and probably 15-20
if there is any difference it would be the circumference (diameter) and it would not fit period.
you more than likely need to just wiggle it until you get the correct angle and it goes in, maybe wipe a little oil on it for lubrication. I have ran into the same issue before getting them in

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
Agreed, with a clean fitting and some surface oil, you should be able to insert it with the correct angle. The OSC 2370 is highly rated and supports the 'deeper' fitting. It just means that the alignment needs to be more accurate the further it goes in. The seal is flexible and won't really help with alignment, and will probably give a false sense of alignment. Wiggling it as suggested is probably the fastest method to find the alignment.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will add I had one oil fitting "leak" after removing and re-installing the radiator and it was just a bad o-ring seal, I bought a replacement fitting and all is well.
if for some reason there was a fitting issue with the "depth" the fittings can be replaced they are just pipe thread fittings on the radiator side (all the same size)
if you needed to replace one or both do not overtighten it's just plastic it will break the pressure isn't much thru the cooler lines, i'm guessing 20 psi or so like the transmission lines
even though internal line pressure is more.

OP
OP
T

Tahoescostalot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Went back and oiled the fitting and also wiggled...then tried to put hose at different angles, no luck though.

I measured the inside of the fitting. Seems to have more than enough length wise.

I think the fitting diameter is the issue on the taper.

Spoke with OSC and they said they have heard of 5 or so other issues with this. Basically I have bad luck. If I don't replace oil cooler lines, then i would likely need to try another brand.

If I do need to use another brand, any recommendations?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Went back and oiled the fitting and also wiggled...then tried to put hose at different angles, no luck though.

I measured the inside of the fitting. Seems to have more than enough length wise.

I think the fitting diameter is the issue on the taper.

Spoke with OSC and they said they have heard of 5 or so other issues with this. Basically I have bad luck. If I don't replace oil cooler lines, then i would likely need to try another brand.

If I do need to use another brand, any recommendations?
Nope just go to the closest autoparts stroe and buy 2 oil line fittings for gm, like I said above they screw on with a pipe fitting taper, use a tool to hold the mount on the plastic firm while you use another tool to loosen the fitting so you don't crack the plastic, do the same when tightening the new fitting.
and just to note you can put the lines on with or without the retention clips in place, however it is easier to do with the clips off

OP
OP
T

Tahoescostalot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the fitting. In the first one you can see the taper on the fitting is not pushing through:

Pic1.png

Pic2.png

Pic3.png

OP
OP
T

Tahoescostalot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope just go to the closest autoparts stroe and buy 2 oil line fittings for gm, like I said above they screw on with a pipe fitting taper, use a tool to hold the mount on the plastic firm while you use another tool to loosen the fitting so you don't crack the plastic, do the same when tightening the new fitting.
and just to note you can put the lines on with or without the retention clips in place, however it is easier to do with the clips off
Thanks for the suggestion. I was posting pictures of the issue while you replied, so you might not have seen them.

I'll call the local autoparts store and see if they have the oil fittings. Do you know what torque these should be to (just don't want to break the plastic)?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I was posting pictures of the issue while you replied, so you might not have seen them.

I'll call the local autoparts store and see if they have the oil fittings. Do you know what torque these should be to (just don't want to break the plastic)?
I do not know the torque off-hand I wouldn't attempt anything over 20lbs and probably stay under that, snug should be fine
maybe @swathdiver has that info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev