Yukon auto ride system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humbo

Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 Yukon Denali with 82000 miles on it. 2 owners. Very, very nice condition. Everything works fine. When I put some weight in the rear, I can hear the compressor come on and the rear end raises. However, just going down the road, the thing handles awful. It sort of reminds me of one of the 50s or 60s Buicks or Cadillacs. You can feel all 4 corners dipping and swaying independently. My 06 Grand Marquis handles 10 times better. So, I know this is not the way it's supposed to work. No codes come up. Front shocks are controlled by two wire that go to them. Rear shocks by an air line. It's a beautiful vehicle. I just have to get this fixed. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Jim

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even when my compressor died for the second time my yukon handled the same with or without the shocks being operational. I`m not sure what could be causing your problem.

I don`t know if it`s an option for you but i got rid of the autoride junk and put in billstein 5100 shocks. As long as you don`t tow a heavy trailer or haul around a lot of stuff in the back you`ll be ok.

OP
OP
H

humbo

Reaction score
I know that the 'auto ride' does two different things(I think). One is act as a leveling system for the rear. Guess that's what the compressor is for. The other is to provide instantaneous damping of the shocks. I see wires going to the front shocks but only an air line going to the rear shocks. Shouldn't the rear shocks have wires going to them as well? BTW, have 20" rims on it. Would this make any difference? thanks
Jim

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear is only an air shock only, I forget what the fronts are but i think they`re electronic dampening or something.

I have 20`s as well and had them on with and without the autoride with no difference.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 Yukon Denali with 82000 miles on it. 2 owners. Very, very nice condition. Everything works fine. When I put some weight in the rear, I can hear the compressor come on and the rear end raises. However, just going down the road, the thing handles awful. It sort of reminds me of one of the 50s or 60s Buicks or Cadillacs. You can feel all 4 corners dipping and swaying independently. My 06 Grand Marquis handles 10 times better. So, I know this is not the way it's supposed to work. No codes come up. Front shocks are controlled by two wire that go to them. Rear shocks by an air line. It's a beautiful vehicle. I just have to get this fixed. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Jim

Have you looked to see if the riding height is the same after the rear is pumped up with a load in it? Should be the same as when there is no load in it. If going to high then or staying too low that could explain it. Get a measuring stick out and check it.

OP
OP
H

humbo

Reaction score
Where would you measure from? Or should I put a level on like the rocker panel? I hear the compressor come on when I start the truck from outside and then have someone get in it. It comes on for a few seconds and then stops. So, the front shocks only are electric. How do I know if that system is working? Thanks for all the help.

OP
OP
H

humbo

Reaction score
I measured the distance from the top of the wheel well to the ground and the back is 1 1/4" higher than the front. Or the front is 1 1/4' lower than the back. I then put a level on the frame and got the same results. Is this the way it's supposed to be? I know the compressor works because when I get in it and turn the key, I can hear it run for a few seconds. Now that I understand the system, it's like each one of the shocks acts independently of the others, with no communication to the others. It creates almost a 'wallowing' effect on the ride.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the vehicle will have a 1"- 2" rake in i. They all do

Izcain

Reaction score
You should have more then just air lines going to the rear, you should have electrical connections going to the top of the shocks in the rear. I Would plug into it and just see how all the shocks are reading since this is what the truck goes by for adjusting them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo