Yet another crank no start...strange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

res02p35

Reaction score
Technically, not on the original "spider" poppet injectors. I haven't looked in a long time, but IIRC spec was like 58 psi. Although both my old 4.3 and my 5.7 have always started just fine with 55 psi. I installed the updated MPFI because I had a dead injector when I bought it. The MPFI can work with lower pressure.

The pressure drop is a concern too. You either have an issue with the FPR and or an injector that's leaking fuel. When that happens the fuel floods the engine and can cause issues with crank-no-fire. How long does it take to go from 55 to 44?

I've never tried this, but I've read once a guy opened the throttle body and primed the pump and saw with a flashlight a huge squirt of fuel getting dumped inside the intake! Massive flooded condition in that case.
10 minutes, I'm sure old injector is leaking.
Once I get it running I will pull it into my shop and replace those.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried that, no go
If it won't run at all with starting fluid then maybe distributor, timing or something is wrong. Did it even run for a second?
Been a long time since I messed with a obs, Sundays are kind of dead around here more people will chime in tomorrow I'm sure..
Did you get the obd port fixed?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 minutes, I'm sure old injector is leaking.
Once I get it running I will pull it into my shop and replace those.
The advantage of a new MPFI set is you get the entire assembly including a new FPR.

The other thing I had an issue with my 4.3 is it developed a crank-no-start under wet/damp conditions. In the mornings in the Spring and wet days or with morning dew, it was guaranteed it was not going to start.

Engine seemingly had everything to start including spark, fuel pressure that held, etc. That's where I would swap some known good parts from the 5.7 from my other truck like ICM and coil. Numerous cap and rotors. I suspected the distributer, which had been replaced by my mechanic at some point. But I didn't want to invest in a distributor because engine had low oil pressure so I gave up and truck got retired from daily duties.

OP
OP
R

res02p35

Reaction score
Yes, when I tried starter fluid it attempted to fire off but died right away.
Just put on a new fuel filter, gained 3 psi, so I am now at 58, with it falling off a little like before.
When I checked for spark it was yellow across several cylinders. Might just be the ICM.
I will get the ICM tomorrow, once it's installed I will update this thread.
Thanks guys!!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, when I tried starter fluid it attempted to fire off but died right away.
Just put on a new fuel filter, gained 3 psi, so I am now at 58, with it falling off a little like before.
When I checked for spark it was yellow across several cylinders. Might just be the ICM.
I will get the ICM tomorrow, once it's installed I will update this thread.
Thanks guys!!
Maybe just go ahead and replace the coil if the spark doesn't look too strong? I think the ICM controls like the spark timing, but the actual spark is created by the coil. The Haynes manual has a procedure for checking coil resistance. I never recall having a failed coil, however. But did have an ICM and distributer fail.

I like those little spark testers with the adjustable gap to confirm spark is good and strong.

Probably worthwhile to ensure the distributer spins by having the cap removed. Inspect for play too. The the gears wear out...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

res02p35

Reaction score
Got it going,
After I added the ICM was trying to start but it wouldn't start, I then add a new coil. After a couple times it fired up and ran well.
I was able to pull several codes, one was MAF, another was temp sensor. But the one that stands out was low voltage at the ICM.
I cleared them all and will put some miles on it to see where I'm at.

Thanks fir all the help guys, I really appreciate it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts