Would you buy it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Any accident is an immediate pass. I bought a car years ago that had been in an accident and bought it anyway because whomever painted did a fabulous job (so good in fact it fooled the dealer I traded it in at who took a paint depth gauge to the paint) but the work behind the body panels was horrendous. Between that and all the damage not repaired correctly or completely I’ve seen on other cars, if Carfax shows an accident I will not even go look at it.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Any accident is an immediate pass. I bought a car years ago that had been in an accident and bought it anyway because whomever painted did a fabulous job (so good in fact it fooled the dealer I traded it in at who took a paint depth gauge to the paint) but the work behind the body panels was horrendous. Between that and all the damage not repaired correctly or completely I’ve seen on other cars, if Carfax shows an accident I will not even go look at it.
I would not look at any vehicle that reported an airbag being deployed. Beyond that, I would certainly consider a 5 year old truck that was in something minor and may have only had a fascia replaced. My 2010 had a front fender replaced from a hit and run and it looks like new. The driveline was untouched in the accident....

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s all fine and dandy but only because you KNOW. If all you have to go on is Carfax showing it was damaged or in an accident, you have no clue how bad it was or how it was repaired. More often than not corners are cut because the insurance companies dictate it. Carfax only gets its data from the police report so the crash severity is not accurate because what looks like a simple front bumper being damaged could have damaged thousands of dollars or sensors behind the bumper and all the air deflectors and shields under and behind that often get left off.

As in the case of the car I bought, Carfax showed it was in an accident and a date with no other information. I paid $2500 out of my pocket for the Mercedes dealer to put it on the frame jig and pull the right front strut tower back into place and they showed me the frame horn had been damaged and was pulled back in place using heat which is absolutely the wrong way to fix that. He said they would have recommended a frame horn replacement which would have cost $5000 in parts plus 40+ hours in labor to pull the drivetrain to fix which would have totaled the car. But the car still drove decent and paint work was absolutely beautiful. What was replaced/repainted looked no different from the factory paint. But everything under it was trash.

keg97

Reaction score
Any accident is not an immediate rule out to me. Airbags or several K in damage- yup. But a simple fender bender is not a concern.

OP
OP
L

lsuber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
59FCB9AB-AF03-4DA2-9EBF-B8CD8708E80F.jpeg3B079339-4A43-4BE3-A801-179C65DE1331.jpegQuestion about lights. These are the headlights and a closeup of the lower light. Are they LED’s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPKennny