Wondering whether to place order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Athenagmc

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry in advance for likely posting in the wrong place (new to the forum). I’m in TX looking for a 2022 Tahoe but I’m being told the better option is to place an order and wait 5-8 months for delivery. My question revolves around that the 2023 model comes out in August. The dealership said the wait includes the transition from 2022-2023. If I build one for around $63k, and then GM lowers the MSRP for the 2023s, will my vehicle price automatically match or am I on the hook for the original build price (if that makes sense)? I haven’t ordered a car before let alone when the model year changes etc.

Wondering if I should put a deposit down, or imagine things may be slightly better by the middle to end of the year where I could normally go to the lot and purchase one. I appreciate the thoughts and feedback!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, sorry in advance for likely posting in the wrong place (new to the forum). I’m in TX looking for a 2022 Tahoe but I’m being told the better option is to place an order and wait 5-8 months for delivery. My question revolves around that the 2023 model comes out in August. The dealership said the wait includes the transition from 2022-2023. If I build one for around $63k, and then GM lowers the MSRP for the 2023s, will my vehicle price automatically match or am I on the hook for the original build price (if that makes sense)? I haven’t ordered a car before let alone when the model year changes etc.

Wondering if I should put a deposit down, or imagine things may be slightly better by the middle to end of the year where I could normally go to the lot and purchase one. I appreciate the thoughts and feedback!
I believe you would get the lower MSRP but MSRPs do not tend to decrease over time.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score

couple general thoughts on ordering and waiting on the next year's model year.

Don't know of any instances where the MSRP actually decreased from the current model year to the next...so it's pretty much a given that the 2023 Tahoe's base MSRP will be higher than the 2022s. GM also has actually had at least one price increase since they've been building the 22s (meaning that one built in September 21 would have had a lower MSRP than one built in April 22 with the exact same trim/options).

Every dealer is going to handle the transition from their 22 orders that haven't been filled to ordering 23s...

the aspect that may/may not have been explained by your dealer, just because you place an order at that dealer, that really doesn't mean a whole lot other than you may be claiming your place in line...the order then has to be officially accepted by GM...there are people who placed an order months ago and the order still hasn't been accepted = no vehicle in the foreseeable future. (lot that goes in to one being accepted)

The ordering of the 22s is coming to an end (some have said by the end of April) which is why the dealer probably mentioned about ordering a 23

I personally would place multiple orders at different dealerships if you "needed" a vehicle (being mindful whether or not the dealer requires a deposit and if it's refundable or not)...if you're fine waiting for a few extra months, try and establish a good relationship with the dealer and go from there...all of this is new to the majority of car buyers

alternatively you could check Chevrolet's inventory website on a regular basis for Tahoes matching your trim preference and then contact those dealers to see if it's sold or not...issue there is 19 out of 20 will probably be sold and then that 1 that isn't may have a market adjustment applied to it

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt GM is going to lower the MSRP on anything when they are posting record profits like they currently are. And I also highly doubt there will be more inventory sitting on dealer lots by the end of the year. Chip shortage is not going to get much better and the long term effects of the war in Ukraine are only going to make things get worse before anything gets better.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
The dealership said the wait includes the transition from 2022-2023. If I build one for around $63k, and then GM lowers the MSRP for the 2023s, will my vehicle price automatically match or am I on the hook for the original build price (if that makes sense)? I haven’t ordered a car before let alone when the model year changes etc.

for what it's worth I ordered my car in February and the price to build actually went up almost a grand. Im hoping they honor my original MSRP when I get it.

From what i've been reading....April is the cutoff to get a 2022 order accepted by GM. If they do not accept your order by month-end, your order automatically gets moved to a 2023. My guess is there a going to be a TON of 2022 orders that get shifted to a 2023.

2022 production orders should wrap up by the start of summer.....and then 2023s will start getting produced and they'll be hitting dealerships in the fall.