Wireless car phone charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it, what I would have done is probably unscrew the tray and put it underneath it, that way the tray seems 'original' and the charger hidden/built in.

But the unit being that flat is definitely a plus, If what I am trying doesn't work (putting the electronics right underneath the tray, I might try the same thing as what you are doing.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello all,

I bought one of these wireless chargers, from ebay, they are fairly inexpensive. I bought one with two coils, because I already noticed that these chargers want the phone on there "just right" I mounted it underneath the "cell phone tray" hooked it up to one of these USB chargers. I took the USB charger apart and soldered wires to where the contacts connected to the little board. ground goes to 'sheet metal' and the power wire I connected to a 'ignition key' activated tab, in that junction box near the brake pedal. I used duct tape to stick the coils to the tray, I think in this case it works better than glue, it can't really go anywhere. I drilled a hole in the lid underneath the cover to run the USB cable through. The hole is covered by the cell phone tray, and on the inside there's a trim panel.

It seems to be working really well, and it is an inexpensive 'upgrade' ($15 wireless charger, $4 for the car charger/adapter).

Here are a few pics:

Ron

20180624_115754.jpg 20180624_113750.jpg 20180624_122043.jpg 20180624_130040.jpg IMG_0720.JPG

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very nice, great job! I'm surprised this isn't done more with these trucks, it's cheap to do and you can either do a quick hookup like I did or a oem looking setup like you did. The convenience of the wireless charger is totally worth less than $20 in parts!

Again great job, looks good!!

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very nice, great job! I'm surprised this isn't done more with these trucks, it's cheap to do and you can either do a quick hookup like I did or a oem looking setup like you did. The convenience of the wireless charger is totally worth less than $20 in parts!

Again great job, looks good!!

Oh yeah I like it, no messing with plugging in cables, wires all over the place. of course it takes a little work to route the wires (that is always fun), but totally worth it and easy to do with a center console.

Ron

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to do this but my phone with the otterbox on it wont fit flat in the top section of the console... thinking I might do this in the front of the tray instead...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17